Shigaclone MKII Black - The builders Thread

Hi Tibi,

Thanks for your reply! But which of the two ceramics is PIN and which is Vcc decoupling? And did you solder them on the ribbon or on other places?
If other places, can you indicate them?

Regards,
Robert

As soon I get some time I'll try to document this. There are lot of other mods that I use in Quantum. I will document and share them in coming days.

Instead Arcotronics I solder Vishay 1836.
I solder them directly on ribbon.

Also, over turntable motor I have added a 10nF Mundorf EVO PIO capacitor.

Brgds,
Tibi

Attachments

• IMG_0513.jpg
    IMG_0513.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_0514.jpg
    IMG_0514.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0515.jpg
    IMG_0515.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0516.JPG
    IMG_0516.JPG
    615.8 KB · Views: 160
Here are prices for 1st december sale:

Shiga MKII standard will get 70 euro discount and sale price will be 99euro.
Shiga MKII Level1 will get 200 euro discount and sale price will be 499euro
Shiga MKII Level2 will get 300 euro discount and sale price will be 899euro
Shiga MKII Level3 will get 450 euro discount and sale price will be 1349euro

Quantum Standard will get 2000euro discount and sale price will be 1990euro
Quantum High Grade will get 3000euro discount and sale price will be 4990euro
Quantum Ultra high grade get 4500euro discount and sale price will be 7490euro

Bluthor will get a 20 euro discount and sale price will be 59euro.

Brgds,
Tibi

BluThor installation is quite simple. Here is how was done in Quantum.
BluThor have one REED relay for each button. REED relays are commanded by an ATmel.
Power on/off is done trough a more powerfull relay able to sustain 5A @250Vac.

BluThor may be installed in any CD player that make use of push buttons for play, stop, etc.
An old CD player without remote may gain remote control via blutooth with BluThor.

Regards,
Tibi

Attachments

• Q1.jpg
    Q1.jpg
    887.5 KB · Views: 240
  • Q2.jpg
    Q2.jpg
    884.8 KB · Views: 234
Last edited by a moderator:
Heat sink for LA6541

Hello Tibi,

I saw on the photos that you use the LA6541 with heat sink in the Quantum CD.

When I asked you a year ago the answer was that no heatsink is necessary with the Shiga MK2.

But I assume that it will bring a benefit, otherwise you would not use it - longer lifetime ?

Best regards

Christoph

Hello Tibi,

I saw on the photos that you use the LA6541 with heat sink in the Quantum CD.

When I asked you a year ago the answer was that no heatsink is necessary with the Shiga MK2.

But I assume that it will bring a benefit, otherwise you would not use it - longer lifetime ?

Best regards

Christoph

Hello Christoph,

No heatsink is necessary. PCB was designed to disipate LA6541 heat.
Quantum is a closed enclosure with no ventilation.
Qrgds,
Tibi

Hi Tibi,
So do you recommend mini-regs [adj] for V1-V2 or just LT1086 for best performance? I do have salas reflecktor-d's also. If I use reflector-d is there a recommended wiring configuration. Can I use mini-reg on V3-V4 and reflector-d V1-V2 since you can't mix fixed and adj mini-regs? Thanks for time and info!
best regards,
Steve

Hi Steve,

V1 = V2 = V3 = V4 = 5V
Make sure that voltage difference between them is under 100mV.
For example V2 can be 5,050V and V4 = 5,140V, but not 5,200V or 4,900V.

V1 - power laser and Vref section
V2 - power HF analog signal processor LA9242
V3 - power clock section
V4 - power digital signal processing section LC78601

Miniregs can be used in V2,V3 and V4 positions. For V1 you need a more current capable regulator, like LT1086-5. Please note that minireg in V2 position do not make much difference, at least in my system...
If you look for madness resolution, than in V3 position use a Salas D reflector.
For V1, you may use Salas as well. Again resolution is enhanced. This tighten bass even more and you hear everything. Some people may say is too much ... ;-)

If you intend to bring Shiga MII to very high-end top killer, than a Dexa Neutron and Duelund Silver Cast - for C8 -are a must.

Regards,
Tibi

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Steve,

V1 = V2 = V3 = V4 = 5V
Make sure that voltage difference between them is under 100mV.
For example V2 can be 5,050V and V4 = 5,140V, but not 5,200V or 4,900V.

V1 - power laser and Vref section
V2 - power HF analog signal processor LA9242
V3 - power clock section
V4 - power digital signal processing section LC78601

Miniregs can be used in V2,V3 and V4 positions. For V1 you need a more current capable regulator, like LT1086-5. Please note that minireg in V2 position do not make much difference, at least in my system...
If you look for madness resolution, than in V3 position use a Salas D reflector.
For V1, you may use Salas as well. Again resolution is enhanced. This tighten bass even more, extend instruments decay, add more harmonics and you hear everything. Some people may say is too much ... ;-)

If you intend to bring Shiga MII to very high-end top killer, than a Dexa Neutron and Duelund Silver Cast - for C8 -are a must.

Regards,
Tibi

Thanks for information on V1-4! I am building using the high end components. If I use Salas D reflector do you recommend to go directly to V-out and gnd on V_ pcb regulator
pads as it has its own transformer?

Steve

I'm not sure that I have understand what you mean. However, I recommend you to use a separate trafo for each Salas, or at least use a trafo with with separate secondary winding's.

Use a single point for GND, for all Salas regs, at the main board power input.

If use a metal enclosure, ground the enclosure from the output S/PDif.

Regards,
Tibi

Hi Tibi,
I am trying to find information about the 2.5V regulator ADP151-2.5, it is listed with option components if used but I can't find anything regarding it's use. Can you fill me in please or point me in the right direction. Regarding my inquiry about salas d reflector use, my question was regarding 5V out. Can I input at V3 pads on shiga pcb ?Thanks!

best regards,
Steve

Hi Steve,

ADP151-2.5 is there to provide a very stable Vref=2,5V for laser PIN detector. In case you want to implement this, you need to add R65=1K, C68 and C69. C68 and C69 must be at least 1uF. At this value any MLCC is highly piezoelectric, please mount them vertically to minimize this effect, or use a tantalum on C68.

Salas D reflector can be used on any V1=V2=V3=V4=5V. Single condition is to tune them to output under 100mV difference voltage. You may want to load Salas with a 1K resistor.

Regards,
Tibi