Shigaclone MKII Black - The builders Thread

Hi Tibi,
How do I provide 2 setup of SPDIF output from the board ? I want to use a subbu dac as the internal DAC and also able to provide second set of SPDIF output. Can I just parallel a coax cable to a second BNC connector?

Best way is to use a s/pdif buffer and trafo, but parallel connection will work as well.

You may need to increase output voltage. Use a 75ohm series and 75 ohm parallel resistor divider at Shiga MKII output.

Regards,
Tibo

Have ordered few old Sanyo CD SFP101N-16P from ebay.
Interesting is that I got two different versions. One can be used with no modification in Shiga MKII, while the second need a small rewiring in order to get working. The easiest way to adapt the cable from J2 to CD mechanic.

To be clear on the older sanyo mech on the left, make the correction at the ribbon cable not on the mech or board itself? Do you redo connector and wires crossover each other to proper position? Thanks! Also did you do your usual mod on the gold ribbon cable?
Steve

... Do you redo connector and wires crossover each other to proper position? Thanks! Also did you do your usual mod on the gold ribbon cable?
Steve

I redo only wires crossover. The laser and pin mod is made on gold ribbon cable.

Regards,
Tibi

Attachments

• 20140720_005.jpg
    20140720_005.jpg
    769 KB · Views: 642
  • 20140720_004.jpg
    20140720_004.jpg
    619.9 KB · Views: 605
  • 20140720_003.jpg
    20140720_003.jpg
    568.8 KB · Views: 585
  • 20140720_002.jpg
    20140720_002.jpg
    702.4 KB · Views: 578
  • 20140720_006.jpg
    20140720_006.jpg
    552.3 KB · Views: 565
Thank you for feed-back !

I have a nice experience with REL-CAP.
I never used PRO-Cap, so I can not advice you. Jensen seems to be a bery good choice, but 0.22uF will make tracking quite slow.
Go for REL or PRO and let us know which soumd best.

Regards,
Tibi

I deicded to try the Pro-Cap Silver foil PIO first, it is the same size as the Rel-cap and I have to mount vertically. After 2 hours of burning in, I can clearly say that there are noticeable improvement.

1. I can hear more micro detail on highs, instruments are more refine and smooth, strings are most outstanding
2. The base are richer and slightly more punchy.

I will leave the Pro-cap there for a while and start on the next step since I have a few Sanyo Oscon around.

Hi Tibi,
Try 1000pF and 2200pF 500V silver Mica on C11 and I like the 2200pF better, the base handling is better.Will start on the the laser mod this weekend. I will use film cap for 1nF and 100nF, cannot use silver micro there since I cannot get the 100V 1000pF, only 500V is available but it is too big for that job.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Removed all solder from the pins and liftet them. Still a connection where, according to the schematic there should not have been one. As said before, I checked the PCB and saw a very tiny bridge on the PCB that somehow did not fit Tibis otherwise so perfect routing.

Check below pin 10 and 11 where the solder mask has been scratched. There was the connection that caused pins 10 and 11 to be "connected". It is no longer. Connections now are as the should be according to the schematic. Can I safely power on now Tibi? ;-)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Regards,

Fabian