Shigaclone MKII Black - The builders Thread

index.php

I got the puck working.
It took a bit of sanding.
I used grain 100 and 280 cut a very thin piece of sanding paper couple of mm and sand the inner alu pen stroke bij stroke all around...very tedious work but it pays of. (Approx 20 minutes)

Finally a bit of vaseline and you can lower and remove the puck without the slightest stress on the spindle.

Good work TIBI

I had a look again and seems to be 2N4403 - ( marked PJ66)
I'm not sure if R46 is proper soldered.
And please make again few high resolution pictures. Try to use macro when you take pictures and get better focus. I want to see ribbon connector and ic's pins.

Regards,
Tibi

Hi, I'll see if I can borrow a macrolens.

Had a look at every solder at 10X and resoldered everything that looked suspicious including R46. Didn't find any really bad ones.
Measured the J1 connector. Is from the text J1 CD Deck no6 and no8 supposed to be shorted?

You see, a schematic would be useful to have...

Erik, good work :)

Regards

Last edited:
So there is such a thing as too perfect..:D

Indeed, the inner puck is so tight than will act like a piston in a cylinder and will not allow air to enter or get out, so you need to apply force which may affect turntable.
Interesting is that I have several mechanics on which such puck work easily. It is a tolerance mentioned in datasheet.
Thanks Erik, this will help others to get a better puck.

Regards,
Tibi

Hi, I'll see if I can borrow a macrolens.

Had a look at every solder at 10X and resoldered everything that looked suspicious including R46. Didn't find any really bad ones.
Measured the J1 connector. Is from the text J1 CD Deck no6 and no8 supposed to be shorted?

You see, a schematic would be useful to have...

Erik, good work :)

Regards

No short between J1 pin 6 and 8.
Regards,
Tibi

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2014-06-20 09:30:24.png
    Screenshot from 2014-06-20 09:30:24.png
    193.8 KB · Views: 555
No short between J1 pin 6 and 8.
Regards,
Tibi

No, but between 9 and 11. So if one counts wrongly as I did with pin1 furthest away from the IC one could believe it was 6 and 8.

I compared the laser on new and old shiga and they seem to be equal in strenght. So the laser seems to work - at least the ld part. I assume that the pickup circuits are the same on old and new shigas? Is the attachment about the new one?

Regards

Last edited:
Indeed, the inner puck is so tight than will act like a piston in a cylinder and will not allow air to enter or get out, so you need to apply force which may affect turntable.
Interesting is that I have several mechanics on which such puck work easily. It is a tolerance mentioned in datasheet.
Thanks Erik, this will help others to get a better puck.

Regards,
Tibi

The new puck fits better on my old shiga.

Regards

No, but between 9 and 11. So if one counts wrongly as I did with pin1 furthest away from the IC one could believe it was 6 and 8.

I compared the laser on new and old shiga and they seem to be equal in strenght. So the laser seems to work - at least the ld part. I assume that the pickup circuits are the same on old and new shigas? Is the attachment about the new one?

Regards

Yep, attachment is the MKII.
Did you tried with a different mechanic or another ribbon cable ?
Some ribbon cables will not make contact unless you clean them.

Regards,
Tibi

Hi Erik,

Here you have the answer from Nicu ;)

Worked hard today all afternoon to solve the issue with skippin and TOC reading with Vishay modified laser and the case is solved-closed.My shiga read every CD I put on.
So may steps was like this:
1.Find best laser unit modified with Vishay1837 that read best possible and most of CD's. At this point I figured out unredable CD' and insisted only on this . Now ,once figured out the best laser unit ,I got 90% reading CD's...
2.Switch some mechanism platforms and find best one,at this point I find that some will perform very poor,I mean not reding at all...So figured out the best performing mechanism I got reading without skippings all CD ,but anyway there was one that will not give up and that one is ABBA's The Album(Polydor 0040150)...Not reading even TOC...but I foundet that if read TOC of another CD and put to play this one CD will be played...
So, I got shiga playing without skipping ALL CD's ,but only ABBA give me headache.Some time reading TOC ,it take a litlle bit longer but it reads and palys nice. and now I came to compound No3 that make the solution to 100% read TOC and without skipping ALL my CD's.
3.That is legendary C906. I was using there an russian FT-1 0.012uF.So I changed with Vishay 0,1uF and... voyla it reads ALL but ALL CD's in my collection.That means to me that 0,01uf is not enough for some reason to read properly all foulty CD's.
Finnaly, it took half a day to me but I'm happy now ,listening ABBA's The Album .
Hope my findings will help to someone...
Nicu

Erik,

You should not go under 33nF in any circumstances. Tracking will oscillate at 10nF and is highly related to CD mechanic.
This is one reason why I'll stay at 100nF.
100nF and Mundorf EVO Silver-Gold-Oil give so much dynamics and resolution ... Wonder why my Duelund 100nF is waiting some further application where will fit better.

Regards,
Tibi

...the original should read 0.1 uF.

I am thinking if I am better off changing the value on the laserhead.
I am definitly below the threashold now.....

Actually strange because you have held the same values on the laser modification, but not the laser trimmer modification.

Regards,
Rudy

Last edited:
hi Erik,

i have no problem reading any cd with my modified laser on shiga mk2 with 0.01uf on c8, i haven't tried it with the jvc. hoping this is mechanism dependent.

hi Tibi,
based on your experience, is there a difference is sound quality between using lets say same brand cap 0.01uf vs 0.1uf on c8?

thanks

Another thing to mention,

Now I've been done the trimmer bridging in my Shigaclone, do I find the bass to the strange side (tight and intrusive)

I have to tell that the running gear now not on 2 points have fixed with screws, but with glue dabs with glue gun at various points.

It can therefore have 2 causes, but I am wondering if there are several people experienced this with the 1nf silvermica trimmer bridging.

Regards,
Rudy

hi Rudy,

i did the trimmer bypass with cb 1nf silver mica last night and i liked it.. you atr right though that the bass became very tight and deep but i didn't find it intrusive or over bearing. in fact, it was the best bass ive heard from my system. hoping that i wasn't just shocked when i first hearf it that i instantly recognized it as better. i have to listen some more..

hi Erik,

i have no problem reading any cd with my modified laser on shiga mk2 with 0.01uf on c8, i haven't tried it with the jvc. hoping this is mechanism dependent.

thanks

..and besides the 1nF silver Mica what did you use??

This is strange...:confused:...because the mechanism stays the same on MKII and JVC....

I have tested two mechanisms bothe refuse to read TOC with 0.01 uF on C906 (C8)

Pity since I have got an expensive 0.01 uF Duelund in that position....sounding wonderful

Last edited: