Shigaclone MKII Black - The builders Thread

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Hello Tibi,

Looking at your picture of the inside of Quantum, I noticed an extra capacitor under the mainboard under the ribben cable. Can you please explain. Is this one of the needed upgrades?

Regards,
Robert

Where can I see inside pics of Quantum? No inside pics on Vicol website or FB that I can see. Would love to have a peek inside.

Season’s Greetings, Everyone!

Tubo,

Beside modification addressed in this thread, new mods address mechanic, pin diode Vref, laser ccs and several other points on main shiga mk2 board.

- on mechanic, over laser I add now a 1nF silver-mica in parallel with 100nF Vishay. For lubrication I use a teflon based one - it was presented in this thread.
- on laser ccs, across C19, again 1nF silver-mica
- finally U5 ADP151-2,5V ref for laser PIN detector is in place, but this require some extensive board modifications - I'll come back later with more pictures and details.
- now I use mini regs in places of V2,V3 and V4. For V1 I use LF50 as an alternative to LT1086-5 with excellent performance - note that these regulators need 100uF soldered on the output to eliminate any oscillations. Salas D-reflector for V1 and V2 are also a nice upgrade.
- in place of C24 I use a polypropylene. This cap greatly affect s/pdif signal quality.
- instead C48 and C51, I use now a single cap of 100uF oscon or polymer
- As foil capacitors are getting cheaper and smaller, I use polypropylene for C28, C30, C31, C38 as well.
- For C13 Sprague B1514 cap bring some very nice harmonics.
- if you look for a better clock, than I recommend Neutrino2 from newclassD

Regards,
Tibi

neutrino 2

Season’s Greetings, Everyone!

Tubo,

Beside modification addressed in this thread, new mods address mechanic, pin diode Vref, laser ccs and several other points on main shiga mk2 board.

- on mechanic, over laser I add now a 1nF silver-mica in parallel with 100nF Vishay. For lubrication I use a teflon based one - it was presented in this thread.
- on laser ccs, across C19, again 1nF silver-mica
- finally U5 ADP151-2,5V ref for laser PIN detector is in place, but this require some extensive board modifications - I'll come back later with more pictures and details.
- now I use mini regs in places of V2,V3 and V4. For V1 I use LF50 as an alternative to LT1086-5 with excellent performance - note that these regulators need 100uF soldered on the output to eliminate any oscillations. Salas D-reflector for V1 and V2 are also a nice upgrade.
- in place of C24 I use a polypropylene. This cap greatly affect s/pdif signal quality.
- instead C48 and C51, I use now a single cap of 100uF oscon or polymer
- As foil capacitors are getting cheaper and smaller, I use polypropylene for C28, C30, C31, C38 as well.
- For C13 Sprague B1514 cap bring some very nice harmonics.
- if you look for a better clock, than I recommend Neutrino2 from newclassD

Regards,
Tibi

Will board work with U5 [2.5V ref] in place and 2 specified capacitors and no modifications?

Steve

Hi Steve,
Yes, the board will work just fine with AD151-2,5V reference in place, but will not bring expected sonic improvement.
You need to mount only U5 and C69, cut the U5 output trace immediately after U5 output. Remove L1 bead and grab a wire from U5 output to C11. On C11 mount a 10uF tantalum or oscon in parallel with a good quality 1Kohm resistor - preferably a metal foil one.
This mod will provide a very clean 2,5V reference to pin detector.
You'll love instrument extension and decay after this mod.
Quantum ultra high-grade have this mod inside, It was compared with players above 18000eur and now used as reference along some very big names. :)

Regards,
Tibi

Do you have an image of this mod in place? Does silver mica stay in place Thanks

Steve

I'll add some.
In the meantime, here are mods on CD mechanic.

Regards,
Tibi

Attachments

• IMG_0417.JPG
    IMG_0417.JPG
    338.7 KB · Views: 572
  • IMG_0418.JPG
    IMG_0418.JPG
    656.6 KB · Views: 566
  • IMG_0419.JPG
    IMG_0419.JPG
    729.7 KB · Views: 542