Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Shigaclone MKII Black - The builders Thread
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2018, 11:59 AM   #1801
sthcoaster is offline sthcoaster  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvicol View Post
You done it right. What voltage you have across C11?
I don't have a cap in there at the moment because I took everything out again while I sorted this issue

across the empty pads is 2.49v

got some flux built up in all round that area with all my soldering and desoldering will give it a cleanup as well

edit: just put that cap back in now 3.69v

Last edited by sthcoaster; 15th April 2018 at 12:14 PM.
Old 15th April 2018, 01:11 PM   #1802
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthcoaster View Post
I don't have a cap in there at the moment because I took everything out again while I sorted this issue

across the empty pads is 2.49v

got some flux built up in all round that area with all my soldering and desoldering will give it a cleanup as well

edit: just put that cap back in now 3.69v
I was not happy that I was getting more than the 2.5v from the output of the ADP151 - obviously something was not right so as I was trying to sort that and clean up some excess solder with a bit of wick I guess left some solder bridges on the pins which meant I ended up with a full short back to the main regulator. I took the ADP out and swapped it with another.

Now I have 2.52v across C11

But still doesn't read TOC

edit: no I don't - its still 3.69v

Should I read basically 2.5V directly at the output of U5? Maybe I misunderstand how regulators work or how to measure their output (Meter across output to gnd)
I'm not getting 2.5v, its the same 3.69v as C11. It is 2.5v at C68

I see on the now unconnected L1 it is 2.5v on the "wrong" side.

Maybe I'm being thick. Tibi I don't understand if C68 is to stabilise U5 why did we take the jumper direct from output to C11. What does the circuit look like around U5? Can you please post (or PM) just the section of this schematic?

SO I am figuring I need 2.5v across C11? I've even double checked the labelling which is definitely ADP151 from Mouser.

Last edited by sthcoaster; 15th April 2018 at 01:27 PM.
Old 16th April 2018, 12:24 PM   #1803
diyAudio Member

Quote:
SO I am figuring I need 2.5v across C11?
Got the regulator sorted - appears it wasn't grounded properly. So now have a steady 2.5v across C11

BUT currently not reading TOC

Checked with L1 in place again just to be sure that it is all working but no dice so seems I can't now forget this mod and go back

Last edited by sthcoaster; 16th April 2018 at 12:35 PM.
Old 16th April 2018, 04:11 PM   #1804
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Got the regulator sorted - appears it wasn't grounded properly. So now have a steady 2.5v across C11

BUT currently not reading TOC

Checked with L1 in place again just to be sure that it is all working but no dice so seems I can't now forget this mod and go back
Just tested with new mechanism.

Bingo!! Much relieved. Laser might have fried with all the dramas over the weekend? or something has come loose.

Now I just have the "fun" of installing those magic capacitors on the new laser!!

Thanks for all of yours patience with me clogging up the thread.
Old 17th April 2018, 09:25 AM   #1805
tvicol is offline tvicol  Romania
diyAudio Member

Shigaclone MKII Black - The builders Thread Shigaclone MKII Black - The builders Thread
Great ! This mod will push your Shiga on top of the top players. Enjoy !

Regards,
Tibi
Old 17th April 2018, 07:08 PM   #1806
TIC37 is offline TIC37  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default when to do what?

I'm sitting thinking about starting with the ADP151 tweak but I have not yet changed the clock so is it worth doing it now or should I wait until clock is changed?
Old 18th April 2018, 05:52 PM   #1807
pchw is offline pchw  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Just tested with new mechanism.

Bingo!! Much relieved. Laser might have fried with all the dramas over the weekend? or something has come loose.

Now I just have the "fun" of installing those magic capacitors on the new laser!!

Thanks for all of yours patience with me clogging up the thread.
I came across some reading TOC issue after I added the 1000pf silver mica to the diode. I thought I fried something. But after I removed the SM, it started working again. This happened to the original JVC Shigaclone laser and a brand new one.

So, something to try before tossing the pickup unit!!
Old 18th April 2018, 06:39 PM   #1808
tvicol is offline tvicol  Romania
diyAudio Member

Shigaclone MKII Black - The builders Thread Shigaclone MKII Black - The builders Thread
Fred,

The place where you solder silver-mica is very tight. It may happen that you put in short laser diode. I did this several times now and every time I double check my soldering with and extra magnifying glass.

Regards,
Tibi
Old 18th April 2018, 06:51 PM   #1809
pchw is offline pchw  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Tibi,

Yeah, I looked at it with a magnifying glass and also measured with a DMM, no short.
I also measured the SM with a LCR meter, it was within the 5% tolerant (1020 pf). Kind
of weird, it didn't happen to my first modified pickup.

I tried a Kemet 1000pf NP0 instead, it operated perfectly. So, my unscientific conclusion is that somehow that Eros MK1837 and that Sangam SM just didn't like each other. A little bit of sharing this strange behavior that I encountered recently.
Old 29th April 2018, 11:36 PM   #1810
hartbigsky is offline hartbigsky  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Tibi,
Back again. I just received a new mech. Removed solder blob, hooked up and started up. Played 1 CD then started same old stuff. The laser lens extends vertically as far as it can twice [toward disc] then shuts down [home position]. I watched the first disc and the tracking vertically was smooth as can be. Again all solder pads and continuities check OK and values in tolerance. 2.2uF laser smoothing cap BG/PK measures 1.8 which is +/-20%. I am not sure what to check next?

best regards,
Steve

Shigaclone MKII Black - The builders ThreadHide this!Advertise here!