Shigaclone MKII Black - The builders Thread

Six wire cable for motors is 1 to 1 - '1' terminal on the board should connect to '1' terminal on the mechanism.
If you followed this thread, than 3 wire cable for CD TOC reset is 1 to 3, 2 to 2 and 3 to 1.

Other things to check.
- optical ribbon cable connector do not be reverse soldered- see pictures in this thread
- remove laser protection bulb from CD mechanic
- distance between turntable and CD mechanic to be 19.4mm - see attachment

You may post here top and bottom high resolution pictures, so I may have a look.

Regards,
Tibi

Hi Tibi, I tried to follow all instructions. I also removed solder blob from mechanism and connected wire in the pot area on switch board. Here are some photos.

let me know if these are not usable and I will try to send better photos. I will continue with component and continuity checking. Do you have a troubleshooting guide as to voltages I can check? Thank you.

Attachments

• P1030699.jpg
    P1030699.jpg
    885.9 KB · Views: 1,152
  • P1030701.jpg
    P1030701.jpg
    904.5 KB · Views: 1,097
  • P1030702.jpg
    P1030702.jpg
    842.7 KB · Views: 1,047
  • P1030704.jpg
    P1030704.jpg
    800.3 KB · Views: 1,017
  • P1030706.jpg
    P1030706.jpg
    830.3 KB · Views: 967
  • P1030710.jpg
    P1030710.jpg
    878.4 KB · Views: 280
  • P1030714.jpg
    P1030714.jpg
    1,001.8 KB · Views: 302
  • P1030713.jpg
    P1030713.jpg
    693.2 KB · Views: 300
  • P1030708.jpg
    P1030708.jpg
    773.6 KB · Views: 304
Freeman,

In bottom picture I can't see anything.
I have following observations:
1. For the way you have connected 3 wire TOC reset connector, you should use a 1 to 1 wiring.
2. Please check if R64 and R59 are soldered both sides ?
3. Check if on LA9242 pin 44 and 45 are not in short
4. Check soldering for LC78601 pin 51, 52 and 62
5. you should reverse R48 and R49, but this affect only s/pdif attenuation, so leave at the end.

Await for a clear picture with other side.
Which transistor have you used for laser ccs ?

Regards,
Tibi

Last edited by a moderator:
As got several emails with questions about latest "WOOOOW effect", I have attached a small drawing which hopefully will clarify things.

There are two X5R 100nF capacitors.
One is for Vref decoupling.
Vref=2.5V and on Shiga MKII you have space to mount a 1nF silver-mica in C11 position. If you have a JVC EZXX shigaclone please note there is no such C11 cap and I suggest you to try silver-mica as well.
If you already mounted C11, than replacing X5R cap on mechanic will have little effect, but I suggest to replace him anyhow.

Second cap is for PIN amplifier decoupling and this the one who make a big difference.
In order to get "WOOOOW effect", or at least a "Holy s..t !" effect, you need to replace this cap with a 1nF silver-mica.

Regards,
Tibi

Attachments

• SF-P101N 16pin 3.jpg
    SF-P101N 16pin 3.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 640
Last edited by a moderator:
Freeman,

In bottom picture I can't see anything.
I have following observations:
1. For the way you have connected 3 wire TOC reset connector, you should use a 1 to 1 wiring.
2. Please check if R64 and R59 are soldered both sides ?
3. Check if on LA9242 pin 44 and 45 are not in short
4. Check soldering for LC78601 pin 51, 52 and 62
5. you should reverse R48 and R49, but this affect only s/pdif attenuation, so leave at the end.

Await for a clear picture with other side.
Which transistor have you used for laser ccs ?

Regards,
Tibi

Thanks, Tibi. Pins 51 and 62 did seem suspicious so I reheated them and powered up. The shiga blinked for a moment but then died. I reheated all chips but still got nothing. I seemed to have completely botched this project so I'm giving up. When I'm able, I will order a mini kit and try again. I can use the psu to upgrade my original shigaclone. Regards.

Thanks, Tibi. Pins 51 and 62 did seem suspicious so I reheated them and powered up. The shiga blinked for a moment but then died. I reheated all chips but still got nothing. I seemed to have completely botched this project so I'm giving up. When I'm able, I will order a mini kit and try again. I can use the psu to upgrade my original shigaclone. Regards.

Ok freeman, ship it to me and I'll fix for you at shipping cost. Of course if you want this.

Regards,
Tibi

No what I mean is as a second action why not leave C11 without a cap...sorry ...bridging is killing..:eek:

You may try this as well. 1nF silver mica on PIN amp Vref and you can put 100nF on Shigaclone pcb ribbon connector.

The idea behind different values - C11=1nF and Vref decoupling with 100nF near PIN amp chip - is that this way you cover a wider bandwidth. Beside this both capacitors together with ribbon cable act like a CLC filter.

Regards,
Tibi

I demand an answer on the skipping issue :D

...and now give me the jury results with your Mica .....:D

I already answered a few pages back about the skipping. No skipping at all with MK2. MK1 is in storage so I cannot really tell if it was a one time thing or something that upset it.

Anyway... on to new and better things...

Here is my mecha now... Two 1nF micas soldered in place. C11 is still a 1nF mica, so I am considering changing it to a 10nF to cover some more bandwidth as Tibi said.

attachment.php

Soldering on that ribbon is not for the faint of heart... Space is very tight since the joints are in a corner leaving no room to maneuver the soldering iron to a proper angle. But I did it :) I took many good looks at it with a magnifying glass to make sure I did not short the tiny pads.

Mechanical movement was already very smooth for me after the 117 reg and I did not perceive any noticeable change after the mod.

Now the sound is a different story...

It is very difficult to describe how awesome the sound is... I know it is sacrilege, but it reminds me a lot of how silky smooth and super refined the sound of a Van den Hull Colibri is on the mid highs.

Everything I knew is still there, although now it seems to come from a super black background, coming to life from very silent harmonics and minor string cracklings to full super silky notes. Silky notes that can easily change into biting and stinging ones.
The bass is once again a bit shy, but this seems to be a usual side-effect for me after freshly soldering stuff and rebinding the PSU inputs. It goes away in about a day.
At the same time, the sound is completely easy to the ear. While testing stuff I usually go through my CDs jumping to places with sounds that I want to check. After the mod, I kept finding myself hearing entire songs without even thinking of hitting next or FFWD.
It is weird but it also seems to allow listening with the same amount of detail on lower levels as well, while before during the night I kept missing things.

Thumbs up Tibi :)

Attachments

• DSCF0720.JPG
    DSCF0720.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 2,279
I think it has to do with the distance between CD drive and laser
Try another CD mechanism, my comrade had exactly the same.

Regards,
Rudy

Tonight have tried with different laser units,issue still there.:headbash:
ABBA's The Album become completely unreadable.Almoust all CD have skippings to the last tracks...To bad for shigas EZXX,because sound change alot with this mod,it get more involving and natural.
Tibi , cant wait to the next GB , I'll definitely put my hands on one MK2.
All the best
Nicu

Attachments

• 20140603_094358.jpg
    20140603_094358.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 856