A VERY ODD REQUEST CD Burn Software with crosstalk (separation) adjustment - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th May 2014, 05:59 AM   #11
erin is offline erin  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgehifi View Post
Had a look at these programs websites, but I could not see any crosstalk adjuster.
Hi George, you are correct. There is no crosstalk adjuster, and I didnt say that there was. It is a manual process that will take a few minutes to achieve.

But its quite straight forward actually.
You rip the CD. Open it in the software.
the software will show you left track and right track.

By default the Left track is panned hard left - right track is panned hard right.

If you adjust the pan of both tracks to centre then it becomes mono.

From what I can tell about what you want to achieve you will want to copy and paste the tracks 3 times so you have 3 left tracks and 3 right tracks. You then need to apply filters to each track. Just like if you were operating a digital active crossover.

You will end up with a low passed track, a bandpass track and a highpassed track. The bandpass track will be panned hard left and hard right. The highpass and lowpass tracks will be panned more centrally to achieve the level of separation in dB at the frequency that you require.

Quote:
Can this be the secrete why analogue lovers prefer vinyl over cd????

Cheers George
Absolutely! The difference in mastering is certianly one of the reasons that LP sounds different ( and often preferable) to CD.
Dont forget that LP cutting engineers make the LP sound the way they liked to hear it. It was (and is) an art. With big selling releases the record would be cut a few times and test pressings done to see what each cut sounded like.

Last edited by erin; 6th May 2014 at 06:12 AM.
Old 6th May 2014, 06:33 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to georgehifi
I'm useless with this type of software trying to do it. Maybe I'll try more complex passive networks on the output of the cdp to mimic the Lyra phono cartridge crosstalk above.

Were the cutting engineers allowed to change the final mix of the master tape from the studio engineers after they finalised the master tape??

Cheers George
Old 6th May 2014, 06:40 AM   #13
erin is offline erin  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Were the cutting engineers allowed to change the final mix of the master tape from the studio engineers after they finalised the master tape??
Cheers George
My understanding is that the studio engineer had to ensure that the recording had correct phase at certain freqencies. The cutting engineer could add compresion and EQ and do some phase corrections. If you have pressings of the same album from different countries you can hear the work that cutting engineers did. The sound can vary dramatically.

Someone else will know more than me.

Last edited by erin; 6th May 2014 at 06:42 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!