How to make a digital input for Sony XA7ES Superplayer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It has one of the most musical, most analog sounding DAC avaliable in history. I want to use its DAC for my pc based archive. My idea is to backup all of my analog media to pc after getting a similar quality ADC. Then I will be able to enjoy my media without giving less disturbance to my valuable(unavaliable spare parts) analog gears and cartridges. And this will give much more life to my xa7es player after it looses its laser diod.

the service manual is here:
SONY CDP-XA7ES Service Manual free download, schematics, eeprom, repair info for electronics

There are some kits getting spdif input and converting it to signals, such as:
S/PDIF 4:1 Receiver/MUX Module

I currently dont have enogh knowledge about what kind of signaling system xa7es uses, I could not find datasheets of its current pulse dac chips. It does not have just the same pin labels as spdif reciever kits produces to switch between internal and kit signaling. There maybe some servo signals also that needs to be activated to run as standalone dac. If succeeded, this will apply to almost all perfect x and xa lines of sony players and many units with defective laser diod that sells for for 100-200$ will gain life as better than perfect standalone dacs.

I added the path from servo to pulse dac system through B connector. IC601 gets data. If BCLK, LRCLK and DATA pins to IC601 are correct ones to switch between these internals and the ones from spdif receiver kit, then how to use the MCLK here with spdif receiver? Will I connect MCLK out of IC601 also to spdif kit to make it run? Only 3 pins to switch between standalone player and standalone dac?

Thank you so much,
Mesut BALCI

Attachments

• digital_path.gif
    digital_path.gif
    286.1 KB · Views: 233
I will buy this kit because it obviously supports both i2s and eiaj undoubtly, giving 16bit right justified:
Wolfson WM8804 SPDIF Module Support 16/24Bit I2S Left/Right Justified

So is connections between kit and xa7es this way?

tekdevice xa7es
GND <----> GND
DATA -----> input to IC601 through DATA4 line
BCK -----> input to IC601 through BLCK3 line
LRCK -----> input to IC601 through LRCK5 line
I dont know how to connect the MCLK lines and any other lines for this player to run as DAC correctly.

According to oscilloscope signals on its digital input chip, xa7es has:
BCK : 2,1168x mhz
LRCLK : 44,100x khz
DATA : 24 bit right justified but msb extends to 24th bit from somewhere I think either from 16th or 18th bit, signals are somewhat in sawtooth form to analyse correctly.

So this sony looks to have a form of eiaj standard. eiaj looks to have 18 bit data where msb extends to either 20 or 24th bit. I dont eaxactly know if xa7 uses 16 or 18bit eaij format in its 24 bit pack dat ato digital filter chip.

Anyone experienced on sony cd players? it looks usb to eiaj monica kit is the only practical way without constructing a suitable kit. However it is for a tda1545 dac rather than sony eiaj, I dont know if monica still suits:
Monica SPDIF-EIAJ module - SGD130.00 : Welcome to the diyparadise e-store!

Monica does USB!

wolfson 8804 does not have 24 bit right justified.

the person explains sony format beside others and looks xa7 uses just this:
http://www.gammaelectronics.com/images/nonos_pcm1704.pdf

Now from pc soudn card (16bit 44.1khz throgh spdif), to a i2s receiver that outputs 16bit right justified i2s, will now monica transform it to 24 bit sony eiaj from 16bit i2s input? or any kit or receiver uses exactly same amount of bit at input and output without filling teh blank bit periods as MSB?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.