Upgrading Audio Processor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have a external audio processor that I use in my car audio setup, and wanted to bounce some mod ideas off of a few people out there.

The unit to be upgraded is a dts/dolby digital decoder, 31 band eq, and a digital crossover. All of the EQ and XO functions are handled by a proprietary dsp chip made by Alpine, and the DTS decoding, etc is handled by a Yamaha YSS932 Decoder chip. The capacitors are regular off the shelf types, and the op amps are JRC4560.

I have been reading a lot about upgrades to cd players and DACs and have got a pretty good plan going. I have already ordered replacement OPA2134 op amps, and am in the process of choosing capacitors, which will probably be a mix of black gate caps for coupling, and nichicon muse for everything else. I am thinking I will upgrade the clock circuit in the unit with an LC Audio XO3, and am thinking of upgrading the power supply also.

I have searched and read and have seen that many people suggest to replace the 78XX voltage regulators with different units, and I am wondering if there is really any sound quality difference to be had by simply changing the voltage regulator? If a simple replacement of the regulator is not going to make much difference, what about a small, better regulated circuit in place of the 7805 chip, are there genuine sonic gains to be had by doing something like this?

Also, the DAC used in this unit is a Burr Brown PCM 1608 8 channel 24bit 192khz unit. This could be kinda crazy, but would it be feasible to replace the unit with multiple single or dual channel units? The specs on the 1608 seem rather average, and I am hoping to really make this thing top notch. Correct me if I am wrong (and could be horribly off in my theory) but could I take a stereo dac design available on this forum and make four of them and adapt that to my unit, provided that I tapped off of the correct pins on the original circuit board, right?

If anyone has any other ideas I'd really like to hear them as well as comments on some of the ideas i've already got. I compete in national car audio sound competitions at a professional level, and top notch performance is really a key issue here. Not to mention that I really love modifying things and would get a kick out of changing this thing up.

Thanks in advance,
Morgan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.