help with uncooperative cds

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I'm not sure that I will get an answer / solution to this but here goes.

My friend gave me four cds he made himself, he wrote the music recorded it and burnt the cds.
Despite the discs beign in perfect condtiton they play on my system cd player but with plenty of 'gaps' in the music, its unlistenable.
Putting the disc in my pc seems to partly cure the problem and the first three or four track play ok but as you get further down the tracklist the music starts to break up like it did in my cd player from track four so that by the last track I cant get it to play at all.

Using 'explore' to examine what is on the cd reveals a track list with a 1kb file next to each track number.. Last time I looked at a shop bought cd I seem to remember something similar.
Ive used winamp and vlc to play the disc with the same results.
Unfortnately my freind died last week after a very short illness before I had listened to the discs.
The music is wonderful and strange and I'd really like to be able to hear all of it.
Can anyone help or give me some clue as to what is going on here?

While he still had a degree of mental capacity he made a list of his possessions and how he would like them to be distributed amongst his freinds....before it all dissappears (any day now) would there be a chance that these cds would play ok on the pc he used to burn them? Maybe the music is still on there, I'm going to try to get my hands on the pc if I can but any helpful suggestions as to what the problem might be would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Rags

I had a burned CD do something similar - distortion got worse till unlistenable. I assume some sort of burn error. Other CD's from same burner at roughly the same time were fine.

Anyway - if I was in a similar situation and had access to the original computer for a short time, I would buy a couple of large usb sticks and back up as much as I could as data files, twice, and deal with reburning cd's later.

Thanks Dave, im going to try to get access the the pc. If the music is on there great. If not at least I can have a look see what os and what burner were used .
He wasnt one for spending out on new stuff if the old worked so his pc may be running win98! ....it wouldnt surprise me

This unfortunately happens quite often with self made audio CDs.
If you can get the original wav files this would be the best solution.

If you have to rip the CDs you might try:

EAC, this will try to read each sector over and over again until it
(hopefully) succeeds (might take some time):

Exact Audio Copy

- Edit: I see this has been already recommended...

and for the drive use the best computer drive you can get,
usually "full size" (not laptop) drives which can burn DVDs too
are best.

Hope this helps & good luck.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.