SB Touch: which BNC to use ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd April 2014, 09:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default SB Touch: which BNC to use ?

Hi, I opened up a Squeezebox Touch and I see changing the SPDIF RCA to a standard 75 Ohm BNC is not easy in that device. I am curious how any of you did that. A picture would say a lot. I modded quite some O2 Jogglers with "short neck" BNC connectors and I have some ideas for the Touch but why invent the wheel a second time if one of you can point me to a fitting type?

Thanks.
Old 7th April 2014, 07:15 PM   #2

After much googling I discovered people talk about adding a 75 Ohm BNC to the SB Touch but few dare to do the mod (I also discovered that this is quite understandable ). I did find some pictures of SB Touch with extension cables but this was not my intention. If there will be time spent then better spent it on the optimal situation.

As you can see I did it. It is a tough job with high risk of things not going like you want them to go but I succeeded. The male BNC plug fits perfectly despite the slightly recessed female chassis mount connector. The solder lugs were shortened and they don't touch the PCB. I had to change and make parts myself to make it happen.

I also soldered a decoupling cap on the input DC connector as it did not have much decoupling caps there. The SB Touch sounds fine and the mods delivered what I expected, an improvement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (36.1 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (31.5 KB, 121 views)

Last edited by jean-paul; 7th April 2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 7th April 2014, 07:35 PM   #3
brgds is offline brgds  Poland
diyAudio Member

Congrats Jean-Paul. Can you pls point on the part and source for the socket.
Thanks,
Andy
Old 10th May 2014, 07:54 AM   #4

Hi I got some emails regarding this mod. I used the Tyco 1-1478048-0 but originally I wanted a "short neck" BNC connector. These were not in stock at the time. Please be aware that the Tyco must be modified, the nut is way too thick, the ring can not be used, contacts are too long, it fits but goes way too deep in the Touch body etc. Even the boards need to be changed and the plastic body of the Touch needs to be changed too. I fabricated a filler ring at the outer ring to make the BNC connector not too recessed. Otherwise the male connector would touch the back panel and damage it or it would be very hard to mate the connectors. All this is really an awkward job with high risk of failure, I can only recommend the result not the amount of work it needs.

It took me nearly a whole saturday to get this done without seeing any traces and to have it mechanically stable. Please bear in mind that the BNC puts a different stress on the body and that the complete rubberized backside panel needs to be taken off and needs to be glued again with 2 component glue....
Old 10th May 2014, 11:51 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Whole process with pictures was posted 3 years ago on local forum over here. Credits go to local member with nick Dore. Pictures speak for themselves, if someone need translation, I will help.
SB Touch, original mod

Later, some additional mods were performed, including different filler ring to keep BNC connector on right distance, C65 capacitor removed and some additional mods. Filler ring can be fabricated very fast and cheap, I will post pictures later.
SB Touch, mod 2
Old 10th May 2014, 02:26 PM   #6

Being a latecomer with the SB Touch I wish I would have seen that before (and I thought I know how to use google right ). However, I did it very differently but I also used a filler ring and secured the connector with an extra thin and less wide nut.

Could you explain the C65 mod ? I see an electrolytic cap was removed and I see a very small SMD cap on the pics.

Last edited by jean-paul; 10th May 2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10th May 2014, 04:15 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

C65: remove it
Some electrolytic capacitors were replaced with Panasonic SP cap closer to chip pins
Old 10th May 2014, 05:55 PM   #8

Since I found a second brand new Touch I will repeat the process and I'll check C65. Although I did not think of it as a serious audio device at first I must admit the SB Touch is an excellent device, I really should have tried it out years earlier.

Last edited by jean-paul; 10th May 2014 at 05:59 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!