Philips CDM-1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Solder Nomenclature

By 96S I mean Multicore 96S - 96 % Tin and 4 % Silver.
Multicore LMP is 60% Lead, 38% Tin, and 2% Silver.
In my exerience LMP is initially impressive for (false) detail but long term irritant.
Short term, 96S can be seemingly dull-ish, but long term very pleasing and nicely detailed, and comfortable sounding.
96S is better conducting than LMP or standard solders, and this is part of the effect, but not the whole thing.
Surprisingly 96S makes a nice difference to digital stages ICs, and this permeates through to the analogue stages.

Eric.

Re: Solder Nomenclature

mrfeedback said:
By 96S I mean Multicore 96S - 96 % Tin and 4 % Silver.
Multicore LMP is 60% Lead, 38% Tin, and 2% Silver.
In my exerience LMP is initially impressive for (false) detail but long term irritant.
Short term, 96S can be seemingly dull-ish, but long term very pleasing and nicely detailed, and comfortable sounding.
96S is better conducting than LMP or standard solders, and this is part of the effect, but not the whole thing.
Surprisingly 96S makes a nice difference to digital stages ICs, and this permeates through to the analogue stages.

Eric.
Hi Eric,
You must be joking, or teasing me!
Never tried my clock or the Lcaudio thingy in a CDP??:D :xeye:

jean-paul said:

Again for those that don't know: DON'T USE ALCOHOL FOR CLEANING THE LASER !!! Just to prevent you from cleaning off the coating of the lens.

My Capslock isn't stuck but I meet wiseguys every now and then that tell me to use alcohol. I know better.

Well, I have used ethanol (household alcohol), isopropyl alcohol and a special lens cleaning mix that contains ethanol and ether (I work for an optics compancy) without any problems on various Philips and Sony lenses.

Still, you may be right, there may be some coatings that don't like that kind of treatment.

B&O CDX - CDM1

Hello

I'm here to find help before I complitely getting crazy...

I resoldered, recapped,reoiled the motor spindle, adjusted the laser arm to twist freely of a CDX with CDM1 transport. All is working fine but sometimes when the unit is powered up, after the focusing and after the spindle start, the "error" message appears; the only remedy is to remove the disk and place in again. After this operation, all works hreat, no jump, traking is perfect.

What I could check ?

Greetings from italy

servicmanual?

Well, I trietPM you, but this forum won't let me email or PM you, Guido. Somehow, it still thinks I'm a new user and is restricting my priveleges... I tried to contact the moderator, according to instruction the moderator' s link should be at the bottom of the thread. Ive looked and can't find who the moderater is...:xeye:

Wil you PM or email me so we can work this out? :)

cdm1

Hello

I still continue to try to fix the problem;

The new scenario:

If the cd has more than 14 tracks and the last is totally played, after powering off the unit and repowered (with the cd still inside) the unit fails to read TOC.
The second time (repowered again) the TOC is readed correctly.

If I put the unit in vertical position (the front panel down) this error doesn't appears.

I tryed to modify the turntable height, the focus offset, the focus bandwidth and finally the laser power but nothing solve the problem.

Could be a not totally correct swing arm alignment?

Thanks a lot

ciao ciao

Eugenio

for the bearing I adjusted the "pressure" as described in one of the first post in this topic, now it moves much more better opposing a very few force.

The cable... I have deeply cecked the two flat cables and they seems ok

This evening I'll try to realign the swing arm manually; maybe the arm in vertical position moves just a little to realign itself respect to the turntable... I tryed to adjust the electronic part but none is changed, in some cases the solution was in removing the cd and place again on the turntable.

What do you think?

This is my hobby, I love it because helps my brain to stay up :smash:

thanks a lot

ciao ciao

Eugenio

cdm1

Test still continue.

I replaced the entire transport with another cdm1 and the problem still continue, less than the other (due to a different pots setting) but it is present.

Observing the unit i think that the problem is generated by the focus detection; while the arm is turning to the center of the disc (parking position) the turntable start, it seem that the focus is found during the arm movement to the center, so because the TOC isn't found the disc rotation speed increase and the error message is simply the result (when the lens is under the TOC section the disc speed is too high).

Now I'm trying to decrease the focus so the disc starts only when the arm is in "parking" position.

ciao ciao

Eugenio

Hi all!

I'd like to resurrect this thread with a question: what's wrong with my Philips CD204?
The symptoms are:
1) The disk often skips forward a few seconds, but not always, even on the cleanest original CDs... For example, I'm now listening to a CD for quite a long time, without any skipping.
2) While fast forwarding the disc (by holding the search --->> button), often it has problems to reach the end of the disc. Sometimes the forwarding slows down, and sometimes it even starts to skip backwards. If the forwarding is OK, it won't skip as described in point no. 1.
3) Sometimes the mechanism starts to "scream" and it won't read discs. It happened to me a few times that this occured while playing the disc. The playback stopped, and the player displayed only -- on it's display.

To hear the "screaming" of the mechanism, click HERE

Also I'm wondering if it's possible to connect a CDM-1 instead of a CDM-2/29 or CDM-4/19. It would be nice to have a CDM-1 player with the SAA72xx chips and TDA1541 DAC, since I can't afford a CD304 mkII.

Hello!

Since I didn't get any reply, I decided to change all caps on the power supply board, and also the 33uF ones under the transport, next to the 2 connectors which go to the swing arm. Unfortunately it did not solve the problem.

I think the problem is with the tracking / swing arm control, as the ocassional screaming (see previous post, point no. 3.) is coming from the swing arm.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Bump with some news...

Well, yesterday the player was behaving really well, I listened to 4 or 5 CDs in a row, without a skip. I just came home, wanted to listen some music, but it skips again. Sometimes only a few seconds, but somtimes even 20-25 seconds.

Also I observed that the sound of the tracking mechanism gets louder and louder before the skip, and after it's normal again.

Apart from that, it can't play a whole track without screaming and refusing to read. With the same track on the same CD (which played without problems yesterday) it failed after 15 seconds, and then after retrying it went for two minutes.

I forgot to mention that the swing arm can move freely...

Screaming / sqeaking CDM2/10

I am having a similar problem with a Philips CD160.....CDM2/10 mechanism. This only normally occurs on track one. If I skip to the next track the scream/ squeal will stop and the CD will play normally.
I have replaced most of the electrolytic caps on the CDM mechanism and in the power supply, along with several diodes and other plastic capacitors. I have also dismantled the motor spindle and reset the disc height. I am pretty sure that the motor spindle is not the cause.....it seems to be down to the focus drive / laser electronics, but I cannot pinpoint the problem and don't have an oscilloscope. Voltages appear to be OK to the various sections. I have also soldered most joints that look suspect. The machine does not get any better, which is a shame as it sounds good when playing.....There are some feedback components on the L272M IC (0.39uf cap and 43k resistor) which were discoloured and I have changed these, but still not working......any help appreciated....

After further investigation the noise appears to be caused by a very slight oscillation in the turntable motor assembly. I am going to try damping this with some felt under the CD or maybe on the clamp. This obviously needs to be thin to keep the CD height correct or within tolerance. I have already had the motor assembly apart, but can't seem to improve it with light oil or grease and I have also tried to close the tolerance on the bearing without any luck.....maybe the felt will help. The mechanism must be very sensitive to this slight oscillation.....shows how good the tracking is on this mech......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.