Philips CDM-1 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th March 2002, 01:41 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Hiya,
CRO = Cathode Ray Oscilloscope.
Standard old type cro is better for seeing fine moving detail.
The out of center puck magnet does not matter - a Photo copy of s/manual would be a big benefit to you now.
You need to to check the efm signal next.
Regards, eric von downunder.
Old 20th March 2002, 06:49 AM   #12
FBJ is offline FBJ  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello mrfeedback
Hope you might be able to help me with what I think will be a problem with my Parasound C/DP-1000 compact disc player. I haven't had time to open the thing to see if something is rubbing, but there is a rubbing or stratching noise that I hear sometime when a disc is playing. Any ideas you have would be heplful. I am not asking you to fix my player but just give me a guess what could be wrong.
Thanks.
Old 20th March 2002, 10:10 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default mrfixit

Hello FBJ,
Probably look for sagging suspension springs or suspension rubbers - but you need to look take the lid off first.
I have to go - she who must be obeyed is waiting.......
Let us all know what you find.

Regards, Eric
Old 21st March 2002, 03:37 AM   #14
FBJ is offline FBJ  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for getting back with me quick. I will open the CD player up this weekend. And yes, I am familiar with the program about " she, who must be obeyed".
Old 8th April 2002, 11:42 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default CDM9 expolded view

Hi Eric from downunder,

I would greatly appreciate your help. Followed your advice and lubricated the bearing of my CDM9/65 with car oil. I also tried to bend the steel sheet that serves as a spring and mount at the same time. All of the sudden, the laser arm would move only sluggishly and wiggle a little in its mount.

Well, ordered a small Torx bit (by the way, its size is T5 - not in my Torx set and not at all easy to get!) and had a look. Apparently, the "ball bearing" consisted of the single ball that was caught between a shallow ditch in the plastic top of the laser arm and another shallow ditch in the steel sheet. This ball must have gone awry when I tried to bend the sheet. Do you have any idea, i.e. from the manual of another player, what the diameter of this ball was?

Thanks,

Eric from the other side
Old 9th April 2002, 01:55 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default workshop praying

Hiya Eric von Deutchland,
The first thing to do is take a close look and see if the ball is stuck to the magnet assembly.
If no joy, the next thing is to take a speaker magnet and get down on the floor and sweep everywhere until you find it.
This is known as workshop praying !.
These little critters can bounce a long way !
If you still have no joy, then a ball around 2.5mm (from memory)
should do - the radius of the ball depressions should tell you the exact size that you need.
Good luck, and this happens to the best of us !.

Regards, Eric.
Old 9th April 2002, 10:25 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately, I don't remember in which room I played with the spring. One has been vacuumed since, and search in the other candidate revealed nothing. I will look at the magnet.

Hope anybody planning to operate on his CDM9 reads my post before getting started.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 9th April 2002, 05:04 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default the six p's

Eric, this happens to the best of us !. i.e. - prior preparation prevents a **** poor performance !
"Unfortunately, I don't remember in which room I played with the spring".
Alzheimers ? - Now called CRAFT Disease - Can't Remember A F****** Thing !
The definition of wisdom - Learning by other peoples' mistakes !.
Just a few little jokes to cheer you up until you find that damn bearing ball.

Sympathies, Eric.
Old 12th May 2002, 05:55 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default CD player working again

Well, Eric from downunder,

I picked up the transport mechanism again. This time I found the ball, and it was indeed sticking to the magnet. Must have been in hiding somewhere inside the first time I looked.

I reassembled the drive and hooked it up in a quick and dirty way and the player will now play even the disks it liked worst without a single skip. Don't know if it was the greasing or the spinning of the tray motor that did the job, but it must have been one of the two. And to think what I tried on that player, like cleaning the optics, looking at the eye pattern, cleaning up the grounds and the power supply.

I had not listened to this player in a long time. I know feel that in spite of the many tweaks (tent clock, power supply, output filter) its DAC7 convertor sounds uninspired compared to my AD1854 & ECL clock that I added onto the Kenwood el cheapo player without modifications to the supply or transport.

Greetings,

Eric
Old 13th May 2002, 12:29 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

<b>Philips CDM-1
I have just bought a reVox B226S and I was wondering how hard it would be to get spare part for the CDM-1 transport?

It isn't broken.... yet, but it is a cool transport that I would like to have a long life.</b>

Hi JP,

Contact Revox and ask them about spares availability. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a reasonable cache, and have always found the Studer/Revox people (here on Gilligans Island at least)to be very knowledgable and helpful in the past. If their stocks on spares are low, buy a spare laser and spindle motor now.

I agree the Revox is a cool transport. Nearly bought one myself, but got a Krell instead. Now the Krell's OK, but it doesn't look half as cool in the rack as a B226 would with the B215 and PR99.

TTFN

Hide this!Advertise here!