Cal Audio Labs Aria Mkiii power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, Have noticed that getting a service manual is near impossible so hopefully another approach may bear fruit?

Sadly, I borrowed this player to listen to and a small screw that was somewhere inside shorted one of the power supply terminals for transformer no.2, which caused XFMR2 to melt the primary.
The transformer has a part no. 6XFRA21 with what I would assume is 2x 120v primaries ( one OC and one shorted) with 2 x CT secondary windings

I would assume 1 of the CT windings is approx 6.3vac for the ECC88 tube filaments, the other CT windings being approx 5v for the digital components on the main DAC board.

There's actually 3 transformers in the Aria Mk3, T1 is 220v CT exclusively for the tubes, T3 is for the 2nd main board which is full of logic.

The question I have is, with the absence of any service manual or other information, would anyone know what those winding voltages are, or even be prepared to lift the lid and check what the AC voltages of the secondary are for transformer no.2 (T2)

The windings are on Transformer no.2 on the power supply board and they face the main board with flexible cable link right beside them.
Looking down from the top, with the front panel facing you there are 6 outputs on the righ hand side of T2 and working from the rear panel will read
Winding 1-centre tap-Winding 1 and the next 3 winding 2- centre tap- Winding 2

I can post a pic if anyone is unsure what to measure and would be able to assist?

Dave

Last edited:
You are lucky as T2 is a standard voltage transformer (T1 is high voltage for the tubes).
Following are the voltages & resistance (all measured open circuit)
Same notation as you with pin 1 to the back of the unit, pin 8 to front of unit.

1. 15Vac (1.1R to centre tap)
2. 0 (centre tap)
3. 15 Vac (1.1R to centre tap)

4. 22Vac (7R to centre tap)
5. 0 (centretap)
6. 22Vac (7R to centre tap)

7. n.c.
8. n.c.

Notes:
- All voltages as measured by my VAC RMS meter - open circuit (no load)
- Windings 1-2-3 is isolated from windings 4-5-6
- Transformer is about 15VA size, so guess you need 500ma rating for the 15-0-15 winding. The 22-0-22 winding lower current due to the higher resistance of the coil

Attachments

• California Audio Lab Aria3.jpg
    California Audio Lab Aria3.jpg
    741.6 KB · Views: 65
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.