Adcom GDA-600 DAC tweak/mod - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2014, 07:51 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Cool Adcom GDA-600 DAC tweak/mod

Hello all, i am from Ukraine. Bring to your attention DAC Adcom GDA-600 tweak on idea/offer of Ukranian master, who name is not disclosed yet by mee. To Tweek had a hand also, and I added some Components, which will be described below.
For the beginning about DAC's. This DAC is based on two chips PCM63-P-J.
Tweek / modernization was as follows:
  • Dissected power supply, increases the capacity of the filters, replacement of diodes in the rectifier diodes for Schottky
  • Removed the filter at PSU
  • Was made a separate stabilizer for the analog supply and exhaust with electrolytes film and metallobumagoy filter
  • Replaced the chip in the converter current \ AD817 voltage on the corresponding strapping
  • Replaced the analog filter capacitors with film capacitors
  • Replaced/removed several tens of details on the main board for better
  • Transfer / separation of the components after the DAC chip, on a fee where includes: inverter current \ voltage, filter, analog amplifier stage on LME49710HA in a metal case
  • Сhanged topology of grounding
  • CS8412 digital receiver dir9001 replaced with less jitter

With regards my improvements:
  1. The upper and lower parts of the case (under the board) was glued STP for noise / vibration and "electro" isolation. And upper part of case before my tweak have some special material, who names @chernomorit@
    Quote:
    He was placed to deal with noise and vibration on aircraft carriers in the compartments with radio equipment. Was different thicknesses. There was all the equipment on it. He was in the walls and under the floor.
    It consists of and what is metal - it should still partially screen . If his teeth crush it immediately felt like sinking your teeth , ie no energy is absorbed by the recoil like rubber (why teeth - greater degree of application of force in a limited space ) . It is chemically resistant , dimensionally unlike Vibration absorber on a bitumen basis . Excellent glued glue type BF and moments. Works best with large weights . Under heavy a greater effect than a light machine . ( before it was heavy)
  2. In the PSU / filter was added two pairs of shunt capacitor
    MultiCap RTX 0.068uf / 100V & MultiCap PPMFX 0.01 / 600 V
  3. Four of the six main capacitance capacitors from the the power supply capacitors was shunted JFX 1uf/250V (metallized polypropylene film capacitors.)

And also, the power cable has been replaced by an acoustic and silver-soldered solder TTAF
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.jpg (122.1 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (133.2 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 03.jpg (89.5 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 04.jpg (100.9 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 05.jpg (140.0 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 06jpg.jpg (87.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 07.jpg (110.8 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by MRswitch; 18th February 2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 13th February 2014, 02:41 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

So, any question & propositions?
Old 22nd March 2014, 12:41 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default upd

Some upated!
Added capasitors ClarityCap ESA 1.5uf 250V
So and... look at foto, where shunt JFX 1uf/250V capasitors, on the other side of the board!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.jpg (246.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (99.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 03.jpg (197.4 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by MRswitch; 22nd March 2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12th September 2014, 04:09 PM   #4
mirach is offline mirach  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hello Mr. switch, I hope that in your country the situation will go better in the future. However, congratulations for your work!

l also had fun to upset the devices in the past, now I've changed my philosophy. I think is better to spend the money for a new machine instead to do the tweak on it . But changing an old component, in respect of the initial project, with a new is a good things.
I also have an adcom gda 600. What do you think was the the greatest improvement? What has changed in the sound by replacing the CS8412 with the DIR9001?
thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!