Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2014, 10:32 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default PCM1704 channel splitting and propagation delay

Hi all,

After lurking a lot and being overwhelmed by the strong knoledge of the users of this forum, I'm going to ask you a question

I am designing my first DAC and I have a 24 bit Right-Justified stream as PCM1704 likes to see at its input. Data come from an AD1896 through an insulator from digital to analog section.

Now I am going to split the DOL and DOR with a quite rought way using a Schmitt-Trigger (does it make sense to use a S-T?) inverter. Please refer to my schematic.

My big question is: due to the fact that the inverter is only on the frame clock I am going to add a propagation delay only on this line. Assuming to use Potato inverters we are speaking about 1.8nS in 15pF. Only on one channel.

Now I see that Potato also produce quite simple things like "delay elements": not inverting inverters LMAO.

http://www.potatosemi.com/potatosemi...t/PO74G34A.pdf

Do you think it could be useful to place that delay elements thingy on all the lines to DACs in order to keep all the signals time-aligned?

Many thanks guys and sorry for my bad English!
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2014-02-12 at 12.20.41.png (88.5 KB, 93 views)
Old 14th February 2014, 10:02 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danils View Post
Hi all,

After lurking a lot and being overwhelmed by the strong knoledge of the users of this forum, I'm going to ask you a question

I am designing my first DAC and I have a 24 bit Right-Justified stream as PCM1704 likes to see at its input. Data come from an AD1896 through an insulator from digital to analog section.

Now I am going to split the DOL and DOR with a quite rought way using a Schmitt-Trigger (does it make sense to use a S-T?) inverter. Please refer to my schematic.

My big question is: due to the fact that the inverter is only on the frame clock I am going to add a propagation delay only on this line. Assuming to use Potato inverters we are speaking about 1.8nS in 15pF. Only on one channel.

Now I see that Potato also produce quite simple things like "delay elements": not inverting inverters LMAO.

http://www.potatosemi.com/potatosemi...t/PO74G34A.pdf

Do you think it could be useful to place that delay elements thingy on all the lines to DACs in order to keep all the signals time-aligned?

Many thanks guys and sorry for my bad English!
Try Google search;

"pcm 1704 non-os dac"

and

"nos pcm1704 dac"

Nick

Hide this!Advertise here!