Thule spirit cd 100 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2014, 04:44 AM   #1
quan is offline quan  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Thule spirit cd 100

Hi guys. I was given a Thule spirit 100 cd player with some issues. It loaded and read the disc ok but there is a few different noises ie hum in the back ground, also static sound which intermittently dropping off. I did cleaned the laser but made no difference. I would like to fix the problem and perhaps upgrade the clock later. Please advise where i should be looking or do measurements to trouble shoot. I can only see some brown discoloration btw the blue block caps( marked 1uF). TIA.
Quan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6724-1.jpg (91.2 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6727-1.jpg (110.0 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6725-1.jpg (92.1 KB, 92 views)
Old 12th February 2014, 04:48 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Another picture- overall view. The laser i can see is Sony 213B mechanism.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6726-1.jpg (118.8 KB, 90 views)
Old 14th February 2014, 08:26 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

No suggestions guys?. The main analog board is all smd stuff and no schematics so i am not sure where to start. Distorted sound could be from the D/A chip? or surrounding filter caps?.
Quan
Old 15th February 2014, 04:58 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Not meaning any insult, but this player is barely better than junk. It's built as cheaply as possible, with just enough "extra" to make a feeble attempt at marketing it as a high end piece, i.e., the TCXO clock, 24/96 dac chip(albeit the cheapest early in format PCM1716), and, well, nothing else. I would consider it barely worth repairing, let alone upgrading. The symptoms could be caused by the cheap few thru-hole lytic caps on the supply board, by any or all of the SMD lytic caps on the audio board, by a defective PCM1716 dac chip, or by bad output opamp(can't make out the #, but that 14pin smd chip near the jacks is placed like a quad opamp for output stages), or by a combo of faults of above. Unless it turns out that replacing the power supply board lytic caps cures it, it would not be easy to track down the problem(s). I would personally give up after replacing the supply caps if they didn't fix it, and use the quite nice power transformer & TCXO clock for more worthy projects, and save the cheap but reliable Sony laser/mech for the next player needing it.
If I were Thule & retailing this player for more than $150usd, I'd be embarassed as hell for anyone to take the lid off it.

Last edited by stephensank; 15th February 2014 at 05:00 AM.
Old 15th February 2014, 10:34 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thank you Stephen. My gut feeling is the same when i first opened up the lid. I am not confident with working on smd parts esp without the schematic. I certainly would not want to buy the schematic for 30euros if it is not going to make head waves. I tried to run the player with external DAC and the distortion is much better but still some noise(crackling) but only on the right channel. I would go ahead and change the PSU caps to see if it makes any difference.
Quan
Old 5th April 2015, 02:08 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shizaudio
Hi quan, would you please share the both sides photos of the PSU board?

Hide this!Advertise here!