Audiocom Clock 1.2.1 - worth £60?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I wouldn't call OSCON "boutique" parts, they are good industrial parts. They really are very good for damping/dampening RF energy if not the best.

Motherboards and some videocards are full of them since the exploding caps scandal of 2001. Last week I saw an IBM motherboard that was affected by these exploding caps so they are still around in machines. Time bomb ticking ....

Black Gates are not the best to use for such applications and they bear the "boutique" logo indeed.

Boutique Parts

jean-paul said:
I wouldn't call OSCON "boutique" parts, they are good industrial parts. They really are very good for damping/dampening RF energy if not the best.

Motherboards and some videocards are full of them since the exploding caps scandal of 2001. Last week I saw an IBM motherboard that was affected by these exploding caps so they are still around in machines. Time bomb ticking ....

Black Gates are not the best to use for such applications and they bear the "boutique" logo indeed.
It was a joke Jen-Paul. I don't have a definition for "boutique" parts. Everybody may use the parts he wants, cheap or expensive

:clown:

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Elso, the jolly joker ;)

You just knew someone would react to that, didn't you ? My definition for "boutique" parts is that one has to pay twice as much for parts that are very good marketed but are only slightly better than industrial parts ( sometimes they are even less good ).

BG is somewhat different. Very good series among them, good marketing but absurd prices which makes they can bear the logo too.

Panasonic FC and NHG, BCcomponents 037/038/136 ( the latter not in all applications, ultra low ESR ) are good and affordable but need some energy to find them. These are a good choice for the non "boutique" parts people that want good quality without bells and whistles.

IMHO one of the reasons for existance of "boutique" parts is that industrial/military grade parts are hard to get ( certainly in small quantities ) so that gap can be filled with expensive "audio-grade" parts in special shops. Smiling salesmen when you leave those shops.

I suspect some manufacturers of Ecaps of just putting another series name/ other sleeve-color on some of their series so that they can sell them for twice the price to the quality hungry audio DIY community. It would explain why so few audio brands use audio-grade parts... Audio is also a too small market for R&Ding special audio caps without going bankrupt.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.