Cary CD-306 Advice - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st December 2013, 10:26 PM   #1
SRMcGee is offline SRMcGee  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Cary CD-306 Advice

Folks:

I have an old but still loveable Cary CD-306 player and a question that I'm a little afraid someone can answer. My '306 has worked flawlessly for years but, in the last couple of months, it has developed a kind of hiccup; periodically (say, once every couple of minutes) the music is interrupted by short bursts of silence. More specifically, there will be a cluster of three to five short (0.1 sec?) silences. This happens across a wide variety of CDs.

As a digital idiot, my fear is that someone will give me a perfectly reasonable (to you) observation that will fly high over my head, so please be gentle.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Scott
Old 21st December 2013, 11:10 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The very ill-chosen, junky Philips VAM1202 basic laser/mech unit is the single most unreliable part and most likely to be symptom cause part in the unit. It is very cheap, though, and still readily available, and is pretty much a "drop in" replacement, with no adjustments/alignments required or, indeed, available to do. If replacing the mech doesn't cure it, then the problem gets complicated to diagnose. But the mech is very, very likely to be the culprit.
Old 22nd December 2013, 03:01 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

stephensank:

Terrific -- that's a suggestion I may be able to handle. Is there a better unit that can be dropped in in lieu of the VAM1202?

Regards,
Scott
Old 22nd December 2013, 06:45 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Sadly, no. Once a unit is designed for a certain laser/mech, it is stuck with it, by any rational definition.
Old 22nd December 2013, 09:41 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

stephensank:

Part ordered. I'm looking forward to trying my hand at this repair. Many thanks for the advice -- you've given me the courage to jump in and try to fix something that otherwise would have been a complete mystery to me.

Much appreciated!

Regards,
Scott
Old 19th January 2014, 04:06 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Folks:

I purchased and have received the VAM 1202/12 (about $14 delivered from China), watched a youtube video on how to replace the unit and now have an embarrassing question: how do I open the CD player? The Cary CD-306 is a sleek-looking box with a Peter Daniel-like design (i.e., smart and well-thought out). The unit has no visible screws on the top or sides and the screws on the rear panel appear to hold the various connectors in place. There are three screws on the central part of the underside, in triangle formation, which might be the key to removing a panel, but as a cautious neophyte I have hesitated removing them for fear of causing some other silly problem.

Embarrassing as this is, can anyone tell me how to open a Cary CD-306 player up?

Regards,
Scott
Old 19th January 2014, 04:14 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

AudiogoN Forums: Cary 306 SACD: Open the cover
(2 sec Google)
[So you have to remove the feet completely]
Old 19th January 2014, 04:23 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

He's talking about 306/200 CD player not the SACD I think. But the process is similar.
Look at the bottom of the unit, you will find two holes toward the back, near the sides. They might be covered with a label. You will need a long small diameter philips head screwdriver. The screws are captive in the bottom, but only with funtak. Loosen those screws. The top then slides out towar the back.
If you have a picture I can point them out.
I don't believe you need to remove the feet, but it's been a while so I'm not sure.
Old 20th January 2014, 12:55 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Dan:

Spot on. The labels on the bottom panel covered the access holes to the screws holding the top panel in place. I'm now deep into the project. Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Regards,
Scott
Old 20th January 2014, 01:15 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Your welcome, but wait until you have to get those screws back in. That's a real treat.

Hide this!Advertise here!