Cary CD-306 Advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

I have an old but still loveable Cary CD-306 player and a question that I'm a little afraid someone can answer. My '306 has worked flawlessly for years but, in the last couple of months, it has developed a kind of hiccup; periodically (say, once every couple of minutes) the music is interrupted by short bursts of silence. More specifically, there will be a cluster of three to five short (0.1 sec?) silences. This happens across a wide variety of CDs.

As a digital idiot, my fear is that someone will give me a perfectly reasonable (to you) observation that will fly high over my head, so please be gentle.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Scott

The very ill-chosen, junky Philips VAM1202 basic laser/mech unit is the single most unreliable part and most likely to be symptom cause part in the unit. It is very cheap, though, and still readily available, and is pretty much a "drop in" replacement, with no adjustments/alignments required or, indeed, available to do. If replacing the mech doesn't cure it, then the problem gets complicated to diagnose. But the mech is very, very likely to be the culprit.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
stephensank:

Part ordered. I'm looking forward to trying my hand at this repair. Many thanks for the advice -- you've given me the courage to jump in and try to fix something that otherwise would have been a complete mystery to me.

Much appreciated!

Regards,
Scott

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

I purchased and have received the VAM 1202/12 (about $14 delivered from China), watched a youtube video on how to replace the unit and now have an embarrassing question: how do I open the CD player? The Cary CD-306 is a sleek-looking box with a Peter Daniel-like design (i.e., smart and well-thought out). The unit has no visible screws on the top or sides and the screws on the rear panel appear to hold the various connectors in place. There are three screws on the central part of the underside, in triangle formation, which might be the key to removing a panel, but as a cautious neophyte I have hesitated removing them for fear of causing some other silly problem.

Embarrassing as this is, can anyone tell me how to open a Cary CD-306 player up?

Regards,
Scott

He's talking about 306/200 CD player not the SACD I think. But the process is similar.
Look at the bottom of the unit, you will find two holes toward the back, near the sides. They might be covered with a label. You will need a long small diameter philips head screwdriver. The screws are captive in the bottom, but only with funtak. Loosen those screws. The top then slides out towar the back.
If you have a picture I can point them out.
I don't believe you need to remove the feet, but it's been a while so I'm not sure.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Dan:

Aargh! One thing at a time. Do you know where I can buy replacements for the silicon shock absorbers that connect the VAM1202 to the drawer assembly? I managed to tear two of them and cannot find anyone locally who sells replacements. I called Cary Audio, but their tech guys confessed that they had trouble sourcing the mounts as well; it seems they aren't included with either replacement VAM1202/12 laser assemblies or the drawer assemblies. Someone must have them for sale...

Regards,
Scott

Attachments

• Silicon VAM1202 Shock Absorber Mount_2.jpg
    Silicon VAM1202 Shock Absorber Mount_2.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 65
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.