DIY Upgrade of "commodity" S/PDIF sourround processor - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th December 2013, 07:00 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DIY Upgrade of "commodity" S/PDIF sourround processor

There are few in-between options for Surround decoders. There are the $50 "commodity" ones, like this:

Amazon.com: Vktech 5.1 Channel Ac3 DTS Audio Gear Digital Surround Sound Rush Decoder Theater: Car Electronics

and there are the ones built-in to Home Theatre preamps ($2000-$4000)...and then there are the "audiophile" ones. ($5000+)

What I'd like to do is make the best of a $50 one by adding a better power supply than the wall-wart, and adding balanced outputs. And here's my question:

Would there be any problems with obtaining balanced output by powering one of these $50 S/PDIF surround decoders with +/- 2.5 volt instead of 5 volts?

I dialed this into a bench power supply I have, the device seems to be happy. I wired an XLR connector so ground was the power supply neutral, - was the original RCA connector "ring" and the + was the original RCA connector tip, and the monitor seemed happy.

I 'm making sure that nothing tries to ground the S/PDIF processor (i.e., no USB connections into it, etc). The neutral on the XLR cable is the power supply's neutral.

Am I actually producing balanced output this way, or am I just deceiving myself and do I need to go the traditional route of transformer or chain-of-opamps?

There doesn't seem to be any power-conversion chips on the board, so the +5v is used directly by the existing amplifier.

Last edited by thrillscience; 16th December 2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 16th December 2013, 09:51 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Unclear to me

It's unclear to me what exactly you are tying to implement. For example, what does a +/- 2.5V supply versus a +5V supply have to do with whether you can get balanced operation or not? Also, should you have it, uploading the schematic would greatly help us to help you.
Old 16th December 2013, 10:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Newton View Post
It's unclear to me what exactly you are tying to implement. For example, what does a +/- 2.5V supply versus a +5V supply have to do with whether you can get balanced operation or not? Also, should you have it, uploading the schematic would greatly help us to help you.
I want the line level audio output to be +/- relative to the neutral line.
Old 17th December 2013, 01:15 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillscience View Post
Why?
Old 17th December 2013, 04:30 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillscience View Post
That only matters if you plan to direct couple the output.

Hide this!Advertise here!