DIY Upgrade of "commodity" S/PDIF sourround processor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There are few in-between options for Surround decoders. There are the $50 "commodity" ones, like this:

Amazon.com: Vktech 5.1 Channel Ac3 DTS Audio Gear Digital Surround Sound Rush Decoder Theater: Car Electronics

and there are the ones built-in to Home Theatre preamps ($2000-$4000)...and then there are the "audiophile" ones. ($5000+)

What I'd like to do is make the best of a $50 one by adding a better power supply than the wall-wart, and adding balanced outputs. And here's my question:

Would there be any problems with obtaining balanced output by powering one of these $50 S/PDIF surround decoders with +/- 2.5 volt instead of 5 volts?

I dialed this into a bench power supply I have, the device seems to be happy. I wired an XLR connector so ground was the power supply neutral, - was the original RCA connector "ring" and the + was the original RCA connector tip, and the monitor seemed happy.

I 'm making sure that nothing tries to ground the S/PDIF processor (i.e., no USB connections into it, etc). The neutral on the XLR cable is the power supply's neutral.

Am I actually producing balanced output this way, or am I just deceiving myself and do I need to go the traditional route of transformer or chain-of-opamps?

There doesn't seem to be any power-conversion chips on the board, so the +5v is used directly by the existing amplifier.

Last edited:
Unclear to me

It's unclear to me what exactly you are tying to implement. For example, what does a +/- 2.5V supply versus a +5V supply have to do with whether you can get balanced operation or not? Also, should you have it, uploading the schematic would greatly help us to help you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.