Audiolab 8200AP open/close trigger convert to 12V trigger?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all first post here so please be gentle.

I've got an Audiolab 8200AP which has an open/close trigger system which is only suitable for use with one of their amps the 8200X7 (which I don't own), the rest of their amps oddly enough use a 12V trigger 2 of which I do own (8200MB).

I've got hold of a service manual and it appears the 8200AP has a separate trigger board and all that happens is a relay energises shorting the 'left audio' of a 3.5mm jack to ground hence the open/close.

Now i'm not entirely sure what the standard is for a 12V trigger (mono jack?), is there +12V all the time? also which part of the jack should be 12V?

I've done a print screen on the stock trigger circuit and i'm wondering could it just be as simple as making 1 line open circuit (left audio or ground) and tap off from a 12V source within the unit to this line so when the relay closes the other line then becomes live?

Any suggestions and feedback appreciated.

Attachments

• trigger.jpg
    trigger.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Just realised that what i've illustrated in that diagram is incorrect and wouldn't do anything as it is.

Now i'm not sure out of 1 & 3 which refers to the tip of the jack and the sleeve but if I were to break the top part of the circuit as illustrated and put 12V one side and 0V (ground) the other (which way round would depend on pinout for the mono jack) that way when the relay energises there would be both 12V & ground to the trigger output.

Hi Andrew, there is no 12V output from the 8200AP, when the relay energises it just shorts the pin & sleeve of the mono (or stereo) jack which is bizarre as this method of triggering is only compatible with their 8200X7 amplifier and not their 8200MB which requires 12V.

Upon reading the service manual it seems there is no 12V supply derived within the unit so if I was to mod the trigger circuit as described above I would need to get the 12V from another source.

Stumbled across "LED drivers" on ebay which transform AC to 12V to provide a low current output for LED's which is more than enough for the trigger.

2 3W LED Light Power Supply Converter Electronic Transformer 85-265V to DC 9-14V | eBay
APV-12-12 - MEAN WELL - POWER SUPPLY, SWITCH MODE, 12V | Farnell UK

I've not taken the top off the unit yet but providing there is room I don't see why I can't tap into the mains supply after the power switch and supply the proposed modified circuit.

Hi Andrew, there is no 12V output from the 8200AP, when the relay energises it just shorts the pin & sleeve of the mono (or stereo) jack which is bizarre as this method of triggering is only compatible with their 8200X7 amplifier and not their 8200MB which requires 12V..
but you said
the rest of their amps oddly enough use a 12V trigger 2 of which I do own (8200MB).
so go and measure it to find out what it actually delivers.

Measure what exactly? like I keep saying there is no 12V output from the 8200AP if you look at the trigger circuit in the diagram I attached there is no voltage/current on the circuit at all it is just a open/closed loop.

If I plug the 8200AP into the 8200MB nothing will happen hence why the trigger system isn't compatible and it only works with an 8200X7.

I am confused.
Are you talking about inputs or outputs for the trigger systems?

Which device has an input trigger system? Does it need an output from another piece of equipment?

Which device has an output trigger system? Does it tell another piece of equipment to do something?

Hi all first post here so please be gentle.
I've got an Audiolab 8200AP which has an open/close trigger system which is only suitable for use with one of their amps the 8200X7 (which I don't own), the rest of their amps oddly enough use a 12V trigger 2 of which I do own (8200MB).

I'm talking about outputs, the 8200AP has no 12V output trigger and I want to modify it's current system so it does.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.