Need help please with Shanling CD-T80 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th November 2013, 05:19 PM   #1
Rony1 is offline Rony1  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Need help please with Shanling CD-T80

Hi,
My Shanling T80 has been giving me "No Disc" error over the last year. I had to wait until it wormed up and then it used to work. It finally stopped recognizing CDs no matter what I did.

I followed the link thread below and ordered and replaced the Philips laser unit VAM-1201/1202 and to my disappointment it did not fix the problem.
When I open and close the CD drawer the CD does not spin, so I then took a 1.5V battery and tested the motor and on both the original and the new laser units the motor did spin!

I rechecked all the ribbon cables and no luck! I then proceeded and measured some voltages. The +3.3V and +5V are getting to the PCB, the one connected (under) to the transport. I then measured the voltages on the MO+ and MO-, these are the yellow and green wires going to the CD motor. When I cycle the player on/off, to activate the motor spinning mechanism, the MO- is measuring +2.49V on CD reading and then drops to +2.31V and stays there with "No Disc" on display . The MO+ is measuring +2.47V on turn-on and then drops to +2.28V and I get the "No Disc" on display.

To me this does not look right, there should be some MO- to MO+ voltage but there is none? These measurements I took both on the PCB and at the motor.

I am at lost here, any help would be greatly appreciated...

Shanling nightmare!!!
Old 24th November 2013, 09:34 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Some more information. There is a dual driver IC TDA7073 that is suppose to drive the CD motor, pin 7 is the Vref and is measuring 0v. Pin 1 is also the Vref for the second stage driver and there is +1.6V on there and there is an output on pins 13 and 16! So It looks like at least one stage on the 7073 is working. I wish I had the schematic for this board...
Old 8th December 2013, 03:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Tried to contact Shanling but no luck getting to buy the transport or transport control board. They did offer to send it to them for repair, China I think, for $200 for shipping...

Could anyone help with getting a schematic for the transport control board so I can troubleshoot it? It would be a shame to scrap this player, really good sound after some simple modifications...
Old 28th December 2013, 03:20 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

No one has info on circuit?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 28th December 2013, 06:54 AM   #5
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Can you see the lens perform a focus search routine when you close the drawer ? Is the laser lit for the couple of seconds the focus search is in operation ?

(The disc motor won't spin until focus is found)
Old 29th December 2013, 02:51 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks Mooly! I can see the lens trying to focus but I did not see any light, is the light very visible?

Old 29th December 2013, 06:19 AM   #7
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

The light is very dim to the eye because its near infra red. Look at it from above and from a distance of at least 30 cm.
Old 29th December 2013, 10:53 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I have had the same problem with my cd t80.Replaced the laser,but problem persists.
Have you been able to find the fault?
Old 30th December 2013, 03:07 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I did some troubleshooting (check my other post for details) and it looks like the control board located under the transport is not supplying voltage to laser. The problem is although I have masters in electrical engineering I am only going by what I can trace on the board. It's a multilayer board and I cannot see all the traces, I need the schematic to troubleshoot and locate the faulty device.

Old 30th December 2013, 07:23 PM   #10
RS232 is offline RS232  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

It may be a stupid question but did you removed the protection bridge on the ribbon cable that connects to be board ?
Some mechanisms have it some have a metal clip over the contacts on the ribbon cable.

Hide this!Advertise here!