ebay:Weiliang Dual X2 AK4399 DAC with LCD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi kukynas, I also ordered this DAC via eBay 2 weeks ago. It is still underway. I have a plan to try 4 shunt regulators in order to have clean power supply of 5V analog and 5V digital part of DAC. It should make good impact on PLL stability.
I am going to use UTC A20 transformer directly connected to DAC outputs and won't use OPAs because I have these transformers already from other project. Of course I will audition DAC as it is but with AD797 and then will try the described mods. I will report results here.

I strogly recommend to try dac as it is with 8200uf elnas in Psu and standard OP amps (Mine are LT1028 ) .Its hard to belive uou could make this design better with so big changes ? I have played with mine couple of months .no mods in this .

papparazzi

Hi Valeri, any news?
mine is still on the way :(, takes ages, fortunately transformers arriving tomorrow and chassi beginning of next week so hopefully by end of next week everything's received and I can start building it up :wave:

phase:is it comparable to other opams with this mod? can you pm details please? thank you ;)

Hi kukynas
I received the parcel 3 days ago, but did not try it yet because I got wrong power transformer from Conrad. It gives 2x18V instead of 2X15V. It is too much. This evening I got right one from a friend. I just finished mounting and connections. I will turn it on tomorrow morning because it is late today and my old neighborhoods are already sleeping.

I will keep you informed about results.

Hi kukynas,
I turned it on. It sounds very good and definitely better (although not much) than other Chinese DACs I owned (based on CS4398, WM8741). It sounds very musical. I hope that sound will improve after break in period. It is equipped now with AD797. I will follow advise papparazzi and will order LT1028 from Germany but I also will try it with transformer output after break in period. Why not to try it if I have very good audio transformers?

P.S. I listen to it via Nelson Pass F5 amplifier and B&W 604 speakers.

Hi Valeri,
that's positive news, if you have a chance try ADA4627/37, mine arrived 2 days ago, I'll compare it with dual WM8741 I'm running now so hopefully I can expect some improvements in dynamics, other than that WM8741 in parallel mode beating everything what I had so far.
Of course you should try different output stage if you have a chance and all the parts available ;)

to your speakers, didn't heard old DM version but I was disappointed with 683-684 performance in showroom paired with Denon PMA, somewhat boring, in this price range I would expect more musicality and overall dynamics, but it's all personal preferences so can't complain.
I like French type of speakers so I bought Focal 826W paired with MA KM pearl lite and feeded by Raumfeld Connector 2 as network transport via toslink

Keep me posted about your progress, I'll definitely join you soon, btw. Vienna is 90 minutes away so no problem send you mine opams for trial if you would be interested until I build up mine ;)

Hi kukinas I like a lot the ada4627 -1 brz in weiliank akm dac.
You mentioned the ada 4637, what about this? It is ada 4637 compatible with weiliang akm?
I don't shure about compatibility of ada4637.
I had same private message with weiliang member and he told my he like more the ada4627 in his akm 4399
Ciao

Inviato dal mio SM-N9005 utilizzando Tapatalk

Last edited:
btw. Vienna is 90 minutes away so no problem send you mine opams for trial if you would be interested until I build up mine ;)

Hi kukynas, thank you very much for your offer, but you might need them back very soon. Usually parcels from China arrive in Europe within 3 weeks.

I am thinking how to connect output transformers. The UTC A20 has 600 Ohm impedance. Is it OK to connect the transformer directly to Vout+ and Vout- of the AK4399 or should I use resistors in front of transformer?

Pleased with my dac but I have had a couple of problems.
The 7805 voltage reg was faulty on my kit and blew the AK4113 chip also the led power on for the display blew.
I replaced the 7805 and AK4113.
My question is the display only shows 44k in the display and the filter 1 or 2 position does not seem to make any difference.
I only use it as a dac for my dc player using the digital out from my cd player.
I could not get my pics to load onto this page but they are on my info.
My dac has got tube output and LME49720HA op amp output.
I prefer the tube output on my system.
Cyrus two amp and monitor audio studio 1200 es speakers.
I find the tube output gives me a bigger soundstage and fills my room better.
The op amp output has more detail but sounds a bit watered down and I can tell the sound is coming from my speakers.
The tube output the sound seems to come from everywhere from the centre of my speakers and the left and right of my speakers.
It will probably be diferant with a diferant amp and speakers because my amp and speakers can sound a bit clinical.

Hi Dave,
Display of my dac shows right sampling rate. I use foobar with upsampling to 96k. It shows 96. It seems that your player is able output only 44k. I experianced this kind of problem with Western Digital player.

Which tubpe output stage do you use and how you connected it?
I tried last year use catode follower and srpp connected to Vout- of the WM8741 but did not hear any improvement.

Hi Dave,
Display of my dac shows right sampling rate. I use foobar with upsampling to 96k. It shows 96. It seems that your player is able output only 44k. I experianced this kind of problem with Western Digital player.

Which tubpe output stage do you use and how you connected it?
I tried last year use catode follower and srpp connected to Vout- of the WM8741 but did not hear any improvement.

I used 2x 6N6p srpp tubes as per lampizator site with 2 x6u5c tubed psu as on lampizator site.
I have used + out signals although I wanted to use both + and - signals but if I conect - signal I get distortion.
I have tried using bigger capcitors on - side with resistors on - side.
I have stole the signal from dac pcb before it goes into the first resistors out of AK4399 chips.
I have used no resistors wired direct to tubes via 10uf 6v oscon caps.
Output is about twice as loud as normal but it sounds really good.
I used resistors 250k from pin 2 & 7 to ground on both tubes .
Resistors from pins 3 & 8 330 ohm to ground.
This is my first ever project and didn't own a soldering iron before this so I've still got a lot to learn.

I used 2x 6N6p srpp tubes as per lampizator site with 2 x6u5c tubed psu as on lampizator site.
I have used + out signals although I wanted to use both + and - signals but if I conect - signal I get distortion.
I have tried using bigger capcitors on - side with resistors on - side.
I have stole the signal from dac pcb before it goes into the first resistors out of AK4399 chips.
I have used no resistors wired direct to tubes via 10uf 6v oscon caps.
Output is about twice as loud as normal but it sounds really good.
I used resistors 250k from pin 2 & 7 to ground on both tubes .
Resistors from pins 3 & 8 330 ohm to ground.
This is my first ever project and didn't own a soldering iron before this so I've still got a lot to learn.

I forgot to say AK4399 chips are current out or voltage out chips as discribed on lampizator site.
If WM8741 is Iout dac lampizator recommends 6N2p tube for its higher output.

I forgot to say AK4399 chips are current out or voltage out chips as discribed on lampizator site.
If WM8741 is Iout dac lampizator recommends 6N2p tube for its higher output.

Dc input to tubes is 120v pins + 1 & 6 ground pin 9.
Lampizator recommends 200v dc but my DC suply only gives 170v out.
It would not work with 170v for some reason but if I used a resistor to bring it down to 120v it works fine.

Hi Dave, if you have standard CD player you won't get more than 16/44.1khz out of your CDs, if you wanna play hi-res audio you will need either SACD player or any other networked HD player supporting Hi-res audio with digital output

soundstage isn't only limited by opa or analog output stage, DAC chip and whole circuit plays big role in this case...

Hi Dave, if you have standard CD player you won't get more than 16/44.1khz out of your CDs, if you wanna play hi-res audio you will need either SACD player or any other networked HD player supporting Hi-res audio with digital output

soundstage isn't only limited by opa or analog output stage, DAC chip and whole circuit plays big role in this case...

I agree. I have the same PCB as you Dave, with the AK4113. I saw your pictures, nice. I use discrete output stage, no opamps either. Currently I'm experimenting with powersupply/capacitors on the board.

The digital audio receiver part could be improved. I replaced the capacitor after the LT1085-3 regulator (47uF) with a bigger one (220 uF): improvement in sound stage / transparency already at little cost. Next I'll try replacing the 3.3V regulator with a low-noise super-regulator, to improve PLL performance of the AK4113 for less jitter.

I think this is a nice DAC to experiment with, it has great potential. And it sounds quite good already!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.