Denon DVD2900 Power Supply Fix

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Denon DVD2900 Power Supply Fix? Sadly Not!

Possibly, anyway!!

I have heard the DVD2900 PSU is flakey. My uint (which fortunately I did not sell having recently advertised it!) has just decided to "NO PLAY" a couple of CDs. Hmmm.

I removed the PSU board (nice and easy) and had a look. There appeared to be evidence of a hotspot around D906.

Detective hat on!

The Hifi Engine have the DVD2900 Service (and user) manuals. You'll need to register to get them.

D906 is a SNUBBER diode. Part is SARS01T and the datasheet is here:

http://www.semicon.sanken-ele.co.jp/sk_content/SARS01_ds_en.pdf

The implementation on the datasheet is exactly as per the DVD2900.

However...

The datasheet clearly shows the snubber diode mounted OFF the board. This was not the case in the DVD2900 PSU that I have - the diode was hard against the PCB. Naughty Denon!

I've remounted the snubber so there is some airspace now. I'll get it into the system and report back. Hopefully, this will be a cure for some DVD2900 problems!

Jon

Thanks to HiFi Engine - great resource!

Attachments

• SARS01 D906 DVD2900.jpg
    SARS01 D906 DVD2900.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 65
  • SARS01 data.jpg
    SARS01 data.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 56
  • SARS01 mounting.jpg
    SARS01 mounting.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Rats!! The problem is still there. Probably a dodgy drive, then.

Trouble with this unit is that it runs warm - more so that I'd expect for such a bit of kit. That's probably upsetting the laser.

I'm using it as a transport only. Might look at a replacement laser, but before that, I'll give the lens a clean with distilled water. A replacement laser is £15 on eBay, so not too bad.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.