lampizator - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th October 2013, 05:07 AM   #1
limono is offline limono  United States
diyAudio Member

Default lampizator

Is anybody seriously paying $4500 for this ?? It really looks like one of our own
I thought at the first look that the ad had an error in zeros .
http://www.audioasylumtrader.com/ca/...per-Caps/97422
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lamp_Internal.JPG (272.4 KB, 1365 views)

Last edited by limono; 27th October 2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old 27th October 2013, 10:59 AM   #2
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

How much?
Old 27th October 2013, 12:57 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

They get pretty glowing reviews - all of the reviewers can't be wrong - even if it does have a face only a mother could love. I've not heard one. The other thing being that they are obviously hand-made, not stamped out in a factory., this takes time and time = money.
Old 27th October 2013, 01:17 PM   #4
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Personally for something with digital present I would prefer a neater layout, less long interconnects between sections (example the white and brown wires that go to what look like valve bases), and some thought to EMC. Just my personal view, but well engineered products Commercial or DIY look tidy and well thought out. This looks like a development project, not the finished thing.
What are the wood blocks for?
Old 27th October 2013, 02:02 PM   #5
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajst2duk View Post
all of the reviewers can't be wrong
Given who reviews stuff like this (and that's a very limited set), sure they can be.
Old 27th October 2013, 03:08 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I do not know how that Lampizator DAC sounds. What I do know is that it is erroneous to judge how a component will sound by the way it looks.
Old 27th October 2013, 03:26 PM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

If someone is offering a unit that looks like it was vomited from a junk-box, then had the parts rearranged by a palsied lemur, and they're charging $4500 for it, then yes, one can make some judgments.

I've seen schematics for some of the Lampizator circuits. They are... original.
Old 27th October 2013, 03:37 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
If someone is offering a unit that looks like it was vomited from a junk-box, then had the parts rearranged by a palsied lemur, and they're charging $4500 for it, then yes, one can make some judgments.

I've seen schematics for some of the Lampizator circuits. They are... original.
SY, do tell me about the last time you listened to music with your eyes
Old 27th October 2013, 03:46 PM   #9
diyAudio Moderator

People "listen" to equipment all the time with their eyes- and preconceptions. This is a matter of a commercial piece of gear, and a damned expensive one, that has hilariously incompetent construction. If I paid 20x what is necessary to get good, accurate performance from a DAC, I'd expect high reliability, beautiful construction, and impeccable design. As much as I discount the sonic claims of some of the audiophile jewelry merchants, at least they are offering the user Mercedes-quality construction for their Mercedes-level prices.

If you're happy laying out a couple of mortgage payments for a unit that is assembled with all the quality and care of state fair macaroni art from "special" 4th grade students, that's certainly your privilege.
Old 27th October 2013, 03:57 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

"If I paid 20x what is necessary to get good, accurate performance from a DAC, I'd expect high reliability, beautiful construction, and impeccable design..."

Of course, while all of those can play valid roles in a purchase decision, they have nothing to do with the point I was making. My point is simply, that one cannot tell how a component will sound from the way it looks. Is that really so radical a statement of truth?

Hide this!Advertise here!