lampizator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As I said I stand by my criticism, for the amount of money asked I would way something that is put together neater, and with more respect to digital engineering practices.
Numerous questions have been asked, but no answers read the thread again...
Here's one Objective question/worry
One thing that worries me is if different digital sections grounds are joined together by the star ground connections?
Sorry Geardaddy no anger involved, its the cost that sparked the comments on the standard of manufacture.

I think every piece of design of any Hi-Fi gears has a rational behind. If there is no reason behind, the best way to do is to "follow the tradition".

For those who don't know (and wanna know) the design rationale of Lukasz' products, you may take a few minutes to read this page:
Level5walk

That answers lot of the design rationale behind!

I know that it seems not so "tradition" for such design, but let's think in the other way: Would it be more profitable (designing, constructing, marketing and maintenance) if it is build in the tradition way (i.e. using PCB and modules)? Let's think about it.

I think every piece of design of any Hi-Fi gears has a rational behind. If there is no reason behind, the best way to do is to "follow the tradition".
Nope the best way is to follow engineering practices, not audiophile myths.

I prefer rationale by people such as:
Henry Ott
Howard Johnson
Eric Bogatin
Ralph Morrison
Charles Pfeil
Newton
Maxwell
Heaviside
Not Myths
This is a digital design and one of the worse things (if not the worse) to do with digital is use star grounding between the digital sections.
I have asked questions but instead of answering them we get some boo hoo comments because of some criticism!

Hello Marce. My mom played concert piano, I briefly studied trombone, and ended my musical career playing bass. Coincidences multiply. I visited Lampizator's page as part of a private research into building a valve preamplifier. It amused me to include a S/PDIF input, which led me to DAC designs and hence Lampizator. I do not believe that sound equipment ought to be more expensive than one's music collection, and being involved in the electronics industry allows me to pursue the best designs without paying audiophile prices. Nice meeting you here.

Fidelious, hiya, this is my mum, so I ended up with piano lessons, trombone (brass band) and finally bass guitar:
dorothy england
To the ones who think I am evil incarnated:) I am playing with some DAC layouts at the moment, so when they are done and I start the thread I will let you all know so you can repay the criticism (of course I wont be paying any attention to audiophile design beliefs) but all will be welcome to critique:)

I'm waiting for the next bestest, greatest, mother of all big kahuna Dac......:)
Oh sorry, that one is superseded, the generation 22, Ginormous Dac is the best now. (Cost a bomb and still without CE ) :rolleyes:

For the record, I had heard the Level 4 Lamp Dac quite a few times and it sounds pretty good. Lots of hype.

Lukasz - Disregard this bunch of trolls

Hi everyone. Normally I don't jump on forums because I poorly handle flame wars, as a buddist who has nothing but love and compassion for other people. But some explanation would be in place....

The explanation is simple. Marce, DF96, Sy and the rest are a bunch of trolls that move from thread to thread as a wolf pack proclaiming their caustic superiority at the expense of others.

You on the other hand examined typical commercial products and debunked conventional consumer hype and created great sounding projects. You have shared your insights openly so that many of us in diy can enjoy the results of your work without your commercial benefit; you are much like N Pass in this regard.

Further, you have taken a leap that most people in this forum could only dream of. You have parleyed your DIY experience based on solid education and business foundation into a successful business in the cut throat world of high end audio.

You have done this by providing great performing products at a price point that challenges so called 'high end'.

Anyone reading this thread can search the forum for these names and see their posts are always the same. They are always together. It is always negative. Then they justify it by proclaiming they have been in a dead end job in electronics for about a hundred years doing what I suspect will not have a lasting impact.

It is to be hoped their idle vitriol will not have a negative impact on your business. That would be a shame.

Yes, I write this enjoying fabulous music on one of your DAC designs. Keep your giving attitude. There are thousands of us who appreciate your work and your generosity.

Anyone reading this thread can search the forum for these names and see their posts are always the same. They are always together. It is always negative. Then they justify it by proclaiming they have been in a dead end job in electronics for about a hundred years doing what I suspect will not have a lasting impact.
Oooh how personal, your only post on this thread and all to disdain a few of us, who often have a more down to earth view on design and electronics. One of the three you mention is actually a Chemist, who I know has had a lasting impact, and I drink to his achievements. As to my self I have a dreary job, specializing in PCB design on dreary products, mainly military/medical/aerospace or other IPC class 3/3A standard products.
DF96 I believe is quite into physics.
What I will say of the other 2 conspirator's and quite a few others of a similar ilk is that they have taught me a lot on sound reproduction and physics, some threads we have been on have been very educational.
Anyway got a DAC to lay out, have fun:)

wlowes said:
The explanation is simple. Marce, DF96, Sy and the rest are a bunch of trolls that move from thread to thread as a wolf pack proclaiming their caustic superiority at the expense of others.
The explanation is much simpler. Wlowes has taken exception to some comments made about DIY USB cables in another thread and seems to have decided to attack the messenger rather than attempt to understand the message.

We are not a bunch, but individuals. We are not trolls, but DIY audio enthusiasts who happen to know a bit of maths, science and engineering. We have learnt from each other (and others) by arguing about issues. Sometimes we disagree. However, as our aim is truth and understanding it is inevitable that our views will gradually converge on matters of fact, while remaining distinct on matters of preference.

We sometimes become exasperated by people who persist in propagating nonsense. Even then we try to stick to the issue, rather than attacking the person. When we fail in this we usually apologise. We note that some others do not extend the same courtesy to us.

Well, here's what I've done. Lukasz Fikus says the best sounding DAC chip is the obsolete Philips TDA1541. I found a Honk Kong site that sells a complete DAC kit with what is probably Chinese knock-offs of these chips. Anyway, it was sufficiently cheap to warrant experimentation. In order to get experience we must try things, right? On the off-chance that what Lampizator heard is real, I will implement his "original" circuits in my flag-ship valve preamplifier. At worst, I may have my own preamp with a variety of inputs and outputs. And I'll have more fun than I had in years. I don't think I'm in the wrong place, and I welcome knowledge in all forms.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.