lampizator - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th October 2013, 03:06 PM   #11
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Not radical, just overly broad.

Remember, we're commenting on a commercial piece of gear, not a diy project.
Old 27th October 2013, 03:10 PM   #12
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

That thing looks dangerous!

I am surprised the EU hasn't banned it.
Old 27th October 2013, 03:43 PM   #13
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Newton
My point is simply, that one cannot tell how a component will sound from the way it looks.
But you often can tell how a circuit will sound from the way the circuit diagram looks. As SY said, Lampizator's circuits tend to be "original". His explanations of how his circuits work and why he has done them that way show similar "originality".

NB In this context, the description "original" should not be taken as a compliment!
Old 27th October 2013, 04:05 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I don't know a thing about the gadget, but it took me quite a while (decades) to build things that both looked good and worked well. I remember a particular amplifier where I put way too much time into laying it out "nicely" and ended up with insurmountable oscillation problems. I ripped it completely apart and rebuilt it with attention to wire lengths and coupling and it's worked well for the last 30+ years. All that said, yes, there are some construction details in those photos that you wouldn't expect to find in a commercial product. A shaker table would tell the tale in short order.
Old 27th October 2013, 04:45 PM   #15
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

This has digital circuitry in it...
As I said earlier its layout looks terrible and badly put together.
Well constructed equipment can be made and be made to work, and generally shows some concern and forward planning (ie getting cable lengths correct).
Myself, I would be embarrassed to even show something that looked like that unless it was a prototype.
I have not been able to find out much, but does this thing have valve outputs?
Yes.
Any pictures of the PCB, the one on Lampizator site seems to be missing...
http://lampizator.eu/newdac/L5/L5_dacstory.html

Last edited by marce; 27th October 2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 27th October 2013, 05:57 PM   #16
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marce View Post
What are the wood blocks for?
Quote:
As you noticed, there is a piece of wood inside every DAC chassis. It is not a decor and it is not some mysterious voo doo element. We simply discovered strong dependency between the sound quality and the proximity of grounded steel planes to the DAC chip. That means that if the DAC chip "sees" a steel grounded object in the proximity of say 10 cm - it will somehow choke the sound. Without solving that mystery scientifically - we decided to remove the steel floor from underneath the entire PCB and replace it with a nice wooden flooring. For the same reason we eliminated the steel top cover and replaced it with aluminum one. The music flows free and unrestricted. Magnetically speaking, the DAC pcb is floating in the air.
You'll enjoy the grounding explanation as well:

Quote:
As far as grounding is concerned, the grounding scheme of the DAC is a pure star. Every negative wire is connected to the same screw by means of a thick copper wire. Our experiments show, that for products as complex as the DAC, where there are many very different electrical circuits such as digital chip supplies, tube musical signal ground, high voltage DC ground, filaments low voltage / high current AC supplies with virtual ground. etc. etc. - there is only one solution that brings absolute peace of mind and electronic silence and that's a star.
It is the most difficult and costly and labor intense system but we decided that for L5 there will be no departure from star, end of story.
We join in the star as many as 20 separate lines. In this fashion the electrical interaction between individual circuits within the DAC is ZERO.
See? Original.
Old 27th October 2013, 06:13 PM   #17
jtwrace is offline jtwrace  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, it's quite scary and expensive all at the same time. This is the "BigSix".

Have a good laugh here LampizatOr Rave
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg lamp.jpeg (57.3 KB, 725 views)
File Type: jpeg lampcost.jpeg (58.5 KB, 714 views)
File Type: jpg lampconv copy.jpg (43.1 KB, 704 views)

Last edited by jtwrace; 27th October 2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 27th October 2013, 09:41 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

The phrase "you couldn't make it up" comes to mind, but someone has. Visited the site, some original ideas

I suspect that in the photos the output of the DACs are fed to the valves for filtering, with what looks like two single wires, one per channel, with no adjacent ground lead...
I would love a close up view of the PCB, one wonders whether that uses star grounding, just what digital or low level analogue wants.

So the wood protects the delicate DAC from the grounded steel, now maybe I am missing something here BUT, if the steel effects the DAC and is protected by the wood (any particular species!) wouldn't using a non steel base say aluminium be a better way of solving the problem.
Of course that would remove the need for endless happy hours comparing different bits of wood and their effect on the sound.
Old 27th October 2013, 09:44 PM   #19
diyAudio Moderator

Conveniently, the wood seems to be attached with electrical tape, making interspecies comparisons easier.
Old 27th October 2013, 10:05 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Ha vibration proof as well as excellent EMC shielding, I believe the secret though is in the special tongue and groove pattern...
I notice on the other site linked that mention the measurement word and they are shouting for moderators to protect them from evils trolls who ruin their dreams with reality...

Hide this!Advertise here!