lampizator - Page 18 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th December 2013, 05:04 PM   #171
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
I'm a big fan of multibit DAC chips but I've never come across one with a differential output other than the ones designed for communications applications, not audio. Those have the capability to go way beyond 192kHz though. They only go up to 16bits as far as I'm aware - most of them are 14bits or less.
http://www.analog.com/static/importe...ets/AD1955.pdf

http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/products/dacs/WM8741/

If referring to R2R multi-bit your statement is probably true, but you did not preface the comment with that distinction so I am not exactly sure what you meant.

Texas instruments has a whole slew of audio dacs they label sampling advanced segment dacs with differential current or voltage outputs depending on device.
Old 10th December 2013, 05:15 PM   #172
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryelands
Point taken. My apologies.
Apology accepted.

Now can we talk about audio?
Old 10th December 2013, 07:31 PM   #173
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marce View Post
So why bother chiming in you have nothing to add to the debate
Granted, people don't generally post that they find some postings in a thread to be over the top and in poor taste. But I believe that it's allowed to do so.

Last edited by stvnharr; 10th December 2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10th December 2013, 08:00 PM   #174
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Old 10th December 2013, 08:16 PM   #175
GTHICM is offline GTHICM  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to GTHICM Send a message via Skype™ to GTHICM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
http://www.analog.com/static/importe...ets/AD1955.pdf

DACs | WM8741 | Wolfson Microelectronics

Texas instruments has a whole slew of audio dacs they label sampling advanced segment dacs with differential current or voltage outputs depending on device.
I saw some of these chips when I searched. However, the website asserts, "..chips previously not used together and in a configuration un- tried before . The chips are current production, latest models...". Maybe he is using several or more of one of these chips, together with other chips? It would be interesting to know more detail.
Old 10th December 2013, 11:02 PM   #176
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
If referring to R2R multi-bit your statement is probably true, but you did not preface the comment with that distinction so I am not exactly sure what you meant.
The parts you cited I term 'sigma-delta'. Whilst its true they have multibit modulators, I've never seen them referred to as 'multibit dacs' before. I was not only referring to R2R - that's a subset of multibit.

Quote:
Those are also sigma-delta.

@marce - how about the details from the experiment you did? I'm eager to learn!
Old 11th December 2013, 06:42 AM   #177
diyAudio Member

As soon as I get time I will provide as much detail as I can.
It was not an experiment as such though it ended up as one, it was an overdesigned auxiliary input, that you could say went a bit wrong. Basically to provide isolation the engineer decided to digitise the input transmit it as digital through a custom planar transformer (capacitavly screened) to provide isolation. This was then converted back and transmitted further as PCM (I will have to check details). Because of the crazy grounding scheme to combat noise and use of connectors to connect the isolated audio board, the return for this signal had to travel all the way round the ground connections through the PSU and back via the isolated audio to the source. This ended up with a nice 4-8Khz hiss. This was in a vey compact unit with numerous processors and analogue sections with op-amps and gain stages (120mmx120mmx70mm volume, 4 PCB's) so it was more extreme than in a commercial unit withy things spread out more.
I will draw out the diagram later, but was similar to the ground loops shown on JNeutrons page.
My 3 month old second hand car disintegrated a bit yesterday, and the company I bought it of is disputing the 4 month guarantee I paid for!!
Old 11th December 2013, 07:30 AM   #178
diyAudio Member

Forgot to mention the very complex overkill isolated auxiliary input was replaced with....
Tah Dah
a simple audio isolation transformer!
Old 8th January 2014, 06:56 PM   #179
diyAudio Member

HELP ! I can't find the DAC inside my Technics SL PG 440A
It has a MASH MN6474 dac. But the PCB is very different than other Technics.

Here is my SL PG 440A open. As you can see , there isn't any square in the PCB where you could spot the DAC unbeneath it.

Click the image to open in full size.

In comparison , here is the SL-PS700 which Lukasz Fikus lampizated
You can easily spot 3 squares in the PCB where the dac , digital filter with demodulator , and other chip are located. And if you flip the PCB , you can see the DAC indeed.

Could it be the case that the Mash DAC is located in the front panel control PCB?

Old 9th March 2014, 07:44 AM   #180
diyAudio Member

Default cost + hype is blinding people

I have heard the level 5 dac and it is nice, unfortunately it was through the vac statement 450 (pair with statement line pre and perfect8 tech the force speakers I liked the dac but need to here it on a accurate system as that over priced work of art sounds fake as hell.The force has no realism in the reproduction of any mid-band power. They remind me of a mega line.

Hide this!Advertise here!