ADAT Format

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ADAT is an 8 channel format invented by Alesis to transmit 8 channels of digital audio down a single piece of fiber. They used the TOSLINK connector because it was already readily available and they didn't have to design something new. SPDIF is the Sony/Phillips Digital InterFace. It transmits two channels of digital audio and time code. If you want to connect your system using ADAT, you will need to use an interface box to split the eight channels out to separate jacks. There are a few of them in the pro-audio world to choose from. If I recall, Tascam makes a pretty good one.

Cheers,
Zach

fmak said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll try. I have bought an A/D convertor that outputs ADAT or aes/ebu. I would like to convert the ADAT signal to spdif optical/electrical. In prefer to leave the aes/ebu output as is.

:cool:

Assuming your ADAT optical I/F has 8ch, you have three choices.
1. An off-the-shelf solution
2. A diy solution using the Alesis optical rx and 4 SPDIF tx chips.
3. A diy solution using the Alesis optical rx, 1 SPDIF tx chip and a channel pair selector.

For options 2 and 3 the parts needed are few in number and readily available.
BTW what ADC have you got?

Cobra2 said:
I had a peek inside my COP-2:
-main part seem to be a MC34051P chip (16pin)

If you can find the datasheet, it will be easy to build!

Arne K

edit: found replacement: http://forum.electronicwerkstatt.de/phpBB/downloadaa.php?datei=00337_1070142756_SLLS159B.PDF

Easy to build it may be but it will not do what is required. The COP2 converts optical ADAT or SPDIF to its electrical counterpart.
What fmak appears to need is conversion between optical ADAT and electrical or optical SPDIF and this calls for the demultiplexing of the 8ch optical datastream into 4 distinct channel pairs.

I used however the COP-2 and a "Pro" Spectral A/D & D/A converter along with a PC ca. 10 years ago, (still have some bits & parts).

---------------------------------------------
Expensive Britain. The COP-2 sells for £99 here and $79 in the US...; nearly half the price. Someone is making a good profit!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.