Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Marantz SA-8260 Modifications Page
Marantz SA-8260 Modifications Page
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2018, 04:51 PM   #31
Wss is offline Wss
diyAudio Member

Hi Steve

My SA8260 is in the same TOC issue. Please me a copy of your instructions. Thanks
Old 13th March 2018, 10:39 PM   #32
stvnharr is offline stvnharr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wss View Post
Hi Steve

My SA8260 is in the same TOC issue. Please me a copy of your instructions. Thanks
You have a PM from me. Please read and follow. Thanks
Old 29th March 2018, 10:23 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Hello.
Since I still get inquiries about the TOC correction in the SA-8260 I thought I might post the first step in the process here in a post. This first step is to check the player to see if the correction resistor has already been installed on the transport board of the player.
So here goes:

1. Remove lid from player by unscrewing the 6 attaching screws from the lid. Note that the screw with the star washer goes above the power inlet, while the other 5 screws are all the same.
2. Lift the lid and slide backwards slightly to remove the lid from the case. This is pretty easy and simple. This will expose the inside of the player with the transport assembly easily visible.
3. Remove the transport assembly from the player:
A. Disconnect the 2 ribbon cables that connect the transport to the main audio board by carefully lifting directly UP on each cable.
B. Disconnect the 4 pin connector at the rear of the assembly. You may need long nosed pliers for this if you cannot get proper grip with fingers.
C. Remove the 4 screws at the corners of the transport. Three of these are easily visible. There is one screw somewhat hidden in the corner of the transport and case. Use a flashlight to locate this screw.
D. Slide the transport assembly backwards so it clears the opening in the front panel, then lift out.
4. Turn assembly over and look at the exposed transport board. Look at the attached photo and try to locate the added resistor in the same location on the board.

If your board already has the correction resistor installed then you will need to replace the laser assembly to restore operation of the player.

If your board does not have the correction resistor, then email me for instructions on installing this resistor and I will respond with the full file of instructions.

It should be noted that I have received many inquiries about the TOC Correction ever since I first posted several years ago. There have only been a few instances where the correction resistor has not been installed. And it has been a few years now since that last time.

If you should require laser assembly replacement to restore operation of your player, you will have to decide if you are willing to spend the money to do this. Reliable replacement assemblies are expensive as the NOS stock depletes.
I have my own opinion on this, and it simply amounts to what the user desires the player to do. The SA-8260 is still quite a good 2 channel sacd player. However it is not up to date as a multichannel player due to the analogue outputs and no HDMI connection. And my opinion of the standard SA-8260 player for redbook cd is that it is not great. Modification is needed to upgrade the redbook cd sound.

Hopefully this post will help people out with the assessment of their players.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCI0006.jpg (695.1 KB, 67 views)
Old 5th April 2018, 01:34 PM   #34
Junior77 is offline Junior77
diyAudio Member

stvnhrr,

Thank-you for all the write up on this player. Not sure how often you read this posting, but hopefully you can give some guidance.

I purchased one of the lasers from eBay (suppermailuer) *sp probably a few years ago, but never installed it as the unit started playing again. Sometimes had a mind of its own.

I checked to ensure the resistor was in fact there and in the right location. It was. So, now I go about to change the laser transport. I did that, and still no luck with disc reading.

After reading the service manual, I wonder if I installed the transport incorrectly and caused it to fail or it was a faulty unit to start. It strictly states to remove the soldered short only after connecting the ribbon. The static soldered short, I removed that prior to inserting the ribbon cable. How critical is that and will it fail immediately if the ribbon is not connected?

So, now the transport is about $300+ from suppermailue. Not sure it's worth that kind of money for all the reasons you have stated, i.e., not a good redbook CD, multi-channel out, etc...

If there is anything you can suggest to check/debug it would be good 'fun' to tinker on, as the box is now pretty much worthless.
Old 5th April 2018, 10:46 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior77 View Post
stvnhrr,

Thank-you for all the write up on this player. Not sure how often you read this posting, but hopefully you can give some guidance.

I purchased one of the lasers from eBay (suppermailuer) *sp probably a few years ago, but never installed it as the unit started playing again. Sometimes had a mind of its own.

I checked to ensure the resistor was in fact there and in the right location. It was. So, now I go about to change the laser transport. I did that, and still no luck with disc reading.

After reading the service manual, I wonder if I installed the transport incorrectly and caused it to fail or it was a faulty unit to start. It strictly states to remove the soldered short only after connecting the ribbon. The static soldered short, I removed that prior to inserting the ribbon cable. How critical is that and will it fail immediately if the ribbon is not connected?

So, now the transport is about $300+ from suppermailue. Not sure it's worth that kind of money for all the reasons you have stated, i.e., not a good redbook CD, multi-channel out, etc...

If there is anything you can suggest to check/debug it would be good 'fun' to tinker on, as the box is now pretty much worthless.
Did you remove the solder blob on the laser unit?
Supermanmeliu sends instructions and pictures to show this.
The below pic is the one Supermanmeliu sends and it's the best one to show the shorting solder blob.
This needs to be removed. Soldering iron and desoldering braid work best. Check with magnifying glass to be sure there is no small solder bridge between the 4 separate pads that are revealed with blob removal.
The unit should now play perfectly.

When you replace transport be sure to take replace the spacers exactly as before as there are two colors of them. Also be very careful with all the ribbon cables. There are no adjustments to be made, just take out the old transport and install the new one.

If you have any troubles, send me an email or a PM here, and I can help you out.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg short_230AAA_1.jpg (33.0 KB, 40 views)
Old 1st May 2018, 07:44 AM   #36
bny is offline bny
diyAudio Member

Dear Steve:
I have already installed one 1K resistor and have replaced the laser head, but TOC error still appears. Could you please kindly PM me our instruction? very much appreciate for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180429_224603.jpg (694.2 KB, 27 views)
Old 1st May 2018, 10:26 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

I have sent you a PM, so please read that too.
Nice picture of properly installed "correction" resistor. You mention you replaced the laser head. Was this one of the cheap Ebay KHM230AAA laser heads? If so they usually do not work even if you remove the solder blob as shown in post #33. You really need one of the expensive complete laser mechs.

Marantz SA-8260 Modifications PageHide this!Advertise here!