Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Marantz SA-8260 Modifications Page
Marantz SA-8260 Modifications Page
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th September 2016, 04:26 PM   #11
MHzTweaker is offline MHzTweaker  United States
diyAudio Member

At $313.12 for the laser assembly from Sony Parts, this player hardly seems worth fixing to me. I would rather spend my cash on something without design flaws.

Are there any cheaper, reliable sources for the replacement laser???

Thanks to all who did the leg work.

https://sony.encompass.com/item/8060...Khm230aaaj1rp1.
Old 11th September 2016, 10:35 PM   #12
stvnharr is offline stvnharr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHzTweaker View Post
At $313.12 for the laser assembly from Sony Parts, this player hardly seems worth fixing to me. I would rather spend my cash on something without design flaws.

Are there any cheaper, reliable sources for the replacement laser???

Thanks to all who did the leg work.

https://sony.encompass.com/item/8060...Khm230aaaj1rp1.
The only other source for reliable lasers is Supermanmeliu, a ebay seller in Taiwan and he is about out of these lasers. The lasers are no longer in production and it's just NOS stock that is left.
An ebay search will show a number of laser unit readers for cheap. These require disassembly and reassembly of the whole unit. And then the laser may or may not work. I've never had any luck with these, but others have.
This is all old technology and nobody is making cd lasers anymore.
Old 2nd December 2016, 06:24 PM   #13
mimmesque is offline mimmesque
diyAudio Member

Hi very interesting thread! I have a Marantz sa 7001 and every time I turn on it goes in "no disc" a lot of time, after some minutes starts correctly and go on for hours. I changed the laser 3 or 4 years ago, do you think the add of 1k resistor is a good idea in my case? and if yes do you know where? thanks, mimmo.
Old 4th December 2016, 09:00 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimmesque View Post
Hi very interesting thread! I have a Marantz sa 7001 and every time I turn on it goes in "no disc" a lot of time, after some minutes starts correctly and go on for hours. I changed the laser 3 or 4 years ago, do you think the add of 1k resistor is a good idea in my case? and if yes do you know where? thanks, mimmo.
The SA-7001/8001 players have a different transport system than the SA-8260. If you are having read troubles with your player I think it best to replace the laser again. They are not too costly and perhaps you should get 2 or 3 to be future proof.
Old 29th May 2017, 05:57 AM   #15
papoon is offline papoon
diyAudio Member

Hello, my SA-8260 seems to have the TOC read error problem as it will not play SACD-only discs and plays only the CD layer on hybrid discs. If you could send the instruction file for the fix referred to in Player Assessment it would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 5th June 2017, 06:09 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by papoon View Post
Hello, my SA-8260 seems to have the TOC read error problem as it will not play SACD-only discs and plays only the CD layer on hybrid discs. If you could send the instruction file for the fix referred to in Player Assessment it would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
Papoon,
I've sent you a Private Message on this forum about this. Just follow the instructions in the email and perhaps I can help you out.

Steve
Old 14th June 2017, 08:36 PM   #17
hivas9 is offline hivas9
diyAudio Member

Hi, I have a Marantz SA17-S1 which seems to be similar to SA-8620 same mech and dac's. I'm having similar issues as well. TOC error. Cleaned lense and is reading all Redbook cd's but no type of SACD ( Hybrid, SACD only, even cd layer of SACD isn't READ). Just says ERROR. Would be grateful for instruction file for this. As otherwise will be left with 2 heavy paperweights. Philips sacd1000 and Marantz sa17-s1! Cheers
Old 15th June 2017, 09:41 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivas9 View Post
Hi, I have a Marantz SA17-S1 which seems to be similar to SA-8620 same mech and dac's. I'm having similar issues as well. TOC error. Cleaned lense and is reading all Redbook cd's but no type of SACD ( Hybrid, SACD only, even cd layer of SACD isn't READ). Just says ERROR. Would be grateful for instruction file for this. As otherwise will be left with 2 heavy paperweights. Philips sacd1000 and Marantz sa17-s1! Cheers
I have sent you a PM on this forum. Follow instructions there and you will get the files.
While the SA-17 uses the same laser mechanism as the SA-8260 I do not know if the "TOC Fix" will work. With a player as old as the SA-17 you will likely need a new laser. See posts above for information about the cost of a new laser.
Old 15th June 2017, 10:08 PM   #19
hivas9 is offline hivas9
diyAudio Member

Hi Steve, Sent you PM, would it matter if laser had low use in it's life or is it more age related as my player has been lying up for most of the time. I bought a spare laser /ssembly but that was 10 years ago from Sony, think it was around 100 euro then!
Old 16th June 2017, 07:48 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivas9 View Post
Hi Steve, Sent you PM, would it matter if laser had low use in it's life or is it more age related as my player has been lying up for most of the time. I bought a spare laser /ssembly but that was 10 years ago from Sony, think it was around 100 euro then!
I've answered your message and sent files to you.
I don't really have an answer for you to the above. But for sure, see if the servo-transport is the same as the 8260 so that you can install the resistor which might make your original laser read the TOC on hybrid sacd's.

Marantz SA-8260 Modifications PageHide this!Advertise here!