Poogeing the SACD: The Pioneer 563A - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th December 2003, 06:03 PM   #1
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

Talking Poogeing the SACD: The Pioneer 563A

I've been having fun with my two Pioneer DV-563A units! I'm keeping one for a control unit and modding the beejeepers out of the other one.

I have found the SACD/philips chip tech manual on the net, and well, the job is pretty straightforward so far. The unit seems to be responding very well to changes so far! And DANG.. it's cheap! My inner Scot is snappng it's suspenders.....

I like to give electronics what the techs call 'The Shotgun treatment', which is to go in there and change EVERYTHING.

Anyone else playing with this unit?
Old 18th December 2003, 11:18 PM   #2
ptstv is offline ptstv  United States
diyAudio Member

Default you too?

What have you done so far? I have the service manual for it. It looks like a great design from the schematics. I haven't opened one up yet though.
Old 19th December 2003, 03:22 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Yes, me toos.

I've done what I usually do with equipment. I have no tech manual, but I go in there and do rules 1 through 10 of audio design:

1. Power supply
2. Power supply
3. Power supply
4. Power supply
5. Power supply
6. Power supply
7. Power supply
8. Power supply
9. Power supply
10. Power supply

A bit of exaggeration, but the idea is sound.

signal coupling caps as well, op amp changes, stabilizing the clocking circuit, etc. a bit of physical work on the mechanism helps too.

That manual would be interesting to look at...

One problem with the unit is the the clocking circuit's output is going to a divider circuit where the divider's power supply and signal is too far away, so fixing the divider's power supply really helped out the fidelity of the unit. The good deal, is the BB 192khz DAC (1791) is right at the output. but...the PS lines are way too long ..and weak and noisy.
Old 20th December 2003, 03:33 AM   #4
Demir is offline Demir  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Multi-channel ?

Does this player support multi-channel SACD ? Nothing tells me it does, and I am puzzled as to how it can do SACD alone. A lot of SACDs seem to be multi-channel. Please enlighten me, also, details regarding the schematics would be welcome, especially the filtering used along with the DACs (are they really 1791s ?)
Thanks....
Old 21st December 2003, 11:03 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The Main L+R Stereo DAC is the BB 1791. The other two (rear center) are lesser BB DACs. The PS is re-regualted and filtered very close to the dacs, and they are inches or less from the output connectors. I have re done all the caps at the philips SACD chip, amongst other things. Re-doing the divider circuts has seemingly stabilized jitter components. There is a divider by the main 27Mhz crystal for the SACD decoder, and a secondary divider (same source?) near the output DAC. I have done the PS on all three with os-cons. Output coupling is, of course, crummy electrolytics. The op-amp on the output is ...I can't remember off hand, but it is a single sided PS, much to my chagrin.
Old 22nd December 2003, 12:17 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Clocking and caps

Have you reduced jitter by changing crystals or oscillators ?
As far as caps are concerned, UCC has a bunch of newer parts that are listed in their newer catalog (called Focus Products 2003a- purple cover)

I am sorry to hear they (Pioneer) haven't use the 1791 on the other channels. Compromises to get to the price point...
So far, the Denon 2200 seems to be a good unit for the $$ but if I can get a cheaper unit with good converters, I would go for it.
Old 28th December 2003, 02:10 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Bought it

Hi,
I just picked up this player yesterday. Sounds really good, but not as good as my Denon 3803 for Stereo material.
I'll be opening it up in the next few weeks...
Old 29th December 2003, 02:41 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Bought it

Quote:
Originally posted by Demir
Hi,
I just picked up this player yesterday. Sounds really good, but not as good as my Denon 3803 for Stereo material.
I'll be opening it up in the next few weeks...

I just bought one as well. I find it's audio performance to be slightly better than my DV-45A (when it was stock) on all formats!!! I also find it's internal pcb and component layout to be better, and all for $179

I plan to start mods on this unit in a week or two. I just finished moving and I need to set up my work bench, and I'm waiting for the service manual. I plan to use it as a transport w/ my Ack dAck for Redbook, but I'll use it's analog outs for SACD, DVD-A, and I'll use this unit for DVD video. Picture quality looks great

I think this unit has lots of potential. Just take a look at what
www.aplhifi.com has already done.

I hope we can all keep this thread alive and share our tweaks and experiences, and hopefully others will join us as well

I'll be posting my experiences when I start in a week or two.

Regards,

Vinnie
Old 29th December 2003, 03:26 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Delays for the service manual :(

Nooooo!
I called Pioneer and the service manual is on a 4-6 week backorder
I can get a few tweaks done without it, but I really need it for other tweaks.

ptstv, are you willing to share the schematics?

Thanks,

Vinnie
Old 29th December 2003, 06:16 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I have the service manual

How do we go about getting it out there?

Hide this!Advertise here!