philips cd753 and cambridge audio isomagic dac s700 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th December 2003, 09:04 AM   #1
gbolly is offline gbolly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default philips cd753 and cambridge audio isomagic dac s700

hi everyone, im a newbie into diy audio but i love good music but buying a decent hifi is out of ma reach for now (good work richersounds).

anyway i have a cd753 cd player and a C.A isomagic dac (http://www.uhfmag.com/Issue61/Isomagic.html) and i the dac has a clock link which will allow you to "slave" a compatible cd player to it(C.A diskmagic) unforutnately its not available anymore , in essence you use the clock output on the dac as the main clock for the cd player which they claim will improve timing and reduce jitter.

is there anyway to modify the cd723/753 to accept the clock input for the dac in anyway?. my assumptions are that you can modify/ replace the clock on any cd player to improve timing so theoretically, one can convert the directly link the dac's master clock to the cd player hence they work in harmony. (the master clock on the dac is in optical spdif format)

thanks people
Old 19th December 2003, 08:44 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

To try if changing the clock helps you can use a simple sound cart wich has optical and coax in and out. With the drivers you can set the output format, and a computer takes virtually any input so...

I use this to connect a old DCC player on to my computer using a cheap-*** Trust cart (35). DCC players are cheap (<30) secondhand, and sound better than most PCI soundcarts.

Doesn't beat my Harman Kardon HD 760 though...
Old 5th January 2004, 03:27 PM   #3
JohnW is offline JohnW  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

The Rear Optical Clock link on the Isomagic is a 128Fs Clock (5.6448MHz) output to sync the CD player. This needs to be multiplied by 2 for most Philips based players (256FS MCLK), and by 3 for Sony / Asain CD players (384FS).

As the Master clock is now inside the DAC, the clock circuit (Multiplier) does not need to be low phase noise (jitter) for the Servo Chipset (CD Player). Up to 1nS (I've seen 22nS!) is OK. Use PLL Parts from ICS such as the ICS570 or even 74HC4046 as the clock multiplier.

In the past I've even used simple LC / HCU04 Overtone circuits to Multiply the clock.

Remember to flick the switch on the rear panel to enable the "Clock Lock" feature.

The unit sounds much better in "Clock Lock" mode as the Clock output form the CS8412 SPDIF RX uses a PLL to gerarate the 384FS needed for the SAA7350 - in "Clock Lock" mode the isomagic is run from an internal lowish phase noise Crystal

To date, the ISOMAGIC is still one of the best sound DAC's I've heard - it does need a better PSU - Regulated DC input...

Good Luck

Hide this!Advertise here!