Anyone Familiar with this System? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th October 2013, 03:12 AM   #1
kingneb is offline kingneb  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Anyone Familiar with this System?

While listening to my collection of Gordon Lightfoot LP's, I noticed his album Dream Street Rose stood out sound quality wise from the others. I quickly found out why when I looked at the album cover. It was recorded on one of these machines.

1978 3M Digital Audio Mastering System-Mix Inducts 3M Mastering System Into 2007 TECnology Hall of Fame

It had a considerably different lust to the audio (its hard to put into words the lust), but does not sound more or less offensive to me. There are other audiophiles that claim this mastering system, since it was one of the very first digital units, sounded offensive.

For current technology, I believe 24-bit dithered delta-sigma converters with a 96 kHz Nyquist rate should be the standard for all mastering and playback, no compression of any kind.

Hard drive technology, data bus transfer's, and consumer electronics should be be brought up to snuff to handle the storage and speed requirements. Sampling any higher seems silly, as points of diminishing return are reached that high. If industry can achieve these goals, and all my favorite music is made available on this medium, then will I only ditch vinyl.

I do not think this will happen any time soon, not because we do not have the technology to achieve it, but because of people's habits in using it. Recording engineers also make many digital recordings sound horrible because they often do not know what they are doing, and yet it is so accessible.
Old 14th October 2013, 08:17 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

It may be recorded on 3M digital tape machine, but we do not know how the record was mastered or cut. Also please see this.
Old 14th October 2013, 02:28 PM   #3
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Moving to digital source.
Old 14th October 2013, 03:36 PM   #4
kingneb is offline kingneb  United States
diyAudio Member

It makes sense why the mixing, equalization, etc was done in the analog domain. Digital filters are computationally intensive (even for fixed point operations) and DSP hardware with sufficient MAC operations simply didn't exist that early.

Hide this!Advertise here!