Marantz CD-63 mk II KI signature repairs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought a CD-63 KI for 40 quid some years ago, and probably more than a year or two ago it stopped reading discs. At the time I didn't have the interest in trying to repair it and it was in the garage for ages.

Well I got fed up of looking at the neglected unit and decided to either fix it or get rid of it. I was able to figure out from the service mode that the laser wasn't focusing any more, so looked for some clue about replacing the bit that was faulty.

I discovered that the laser unit could be replaced with a VAM1202 philips part. I saw that the part I took out was actually labelled VAM1201 rather than CDM12.1.

After replacing the unit I couldn't get the player to work until I lubricated the radial laser bar/track. I was getting radial error 10 so I kept sending the laser in and out until it moved without getting stuck.

At this point the CD player works reasonably well, but there seems to be some sort of alignment problem in that the magnetic CD clamp doesn't always seat the CD flat and it wobbles about. While testing I had to tap the spindle lightly to get the CD to spin properly. With the case on I send the drawer in and out until the player can read the TOC.

Is there a way to align the unit with the tray loader to avoid this slight problem?

I also get occasional skipping. Is it worth cleaning the lens on a new VAM1202?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.