Marantz CD-63 mk II KI signature repairs - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2013, 09:34 AM   #1
scumble is offline scumble  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Marantz CD-63 mk II KI signature repairs

I bought a CD-63 KI for 40 quid some years ago, and probably more than a year or two ago it stopped reading discs. At the time I didn't have the interest in trying to repair it and it was in the garage for ages.

Well I got fed up of looking at the neglected unit and decided to either fix it or get rid of it. I was able to figure out from the service mode that the laser wasn't focusing any more, so looked for some clue about replacing the bit that was faulty.

I discovered that the laser unit could be replaced with a VAM1202 philips part. I saw that the part I took out was actually labelled VAM1201 rather than CDM12.1.

After replacing the unit I couldn't get the player to work until I lubricated the radial laser bar/track. I was getting radial error 10 so I kept sending the laser in and out until it moved without getting stuck.

At this point the CD player works reasonably well, but there seems to be some sort of alignment problem in that the magnetic CD clamp doesn't always seat the CD flat and it wobbles about. While testing I had to tap the spindle lightly to get the CD to spin properly. With the case on I send the drawer in and out until the player can read the TOC.

Is there a way to align the unit with the tray loader to avoid this slight problem?

I also get occasional skipping. Is it worth cleaning the lens on a new VAM1202?
Old 12th October 2013, 08:27 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default clamp

Try gluing a 10p on the clamp the extra weight holds the disks firmer,Its an exact fit some fill it with hot glue if no joy ask on the cd63/67 mods forum.

cheers alan
Old 14th October 2013, 08:28 AM   #3
scumble is offline scumble  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

bikeral - I suppose weighting is worth a try, but there seems to be less skipping as the new laser unit is used for a good number of hours. I can see that the mechanical components may settle in after being run for some time.
Old 2nd October 2014, 03:47 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up best advice !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeral10 View Post
Try gluing a 10p on the clamp the extra weight holds the disks firmer,Its an exact fit some fill it with hot glue if no joy ask on the cd63/67 mods forum.

cheers alan
Just glued a sterling coin (only coin I have in stock!). Worked beautifully, solved the skipping problem, thank you !
Old 3rd October 2014, 07:48 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

The extra weight is actually an approved Marantz mod to cure skipping !!!!!

Kevin

Hide this!Advertise here!