Modern 24bit/96 Khz equivalent for TDA1541

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,
In the near future DVD-A will probably be more popular than the 'older' audio CD. With DVD machine prices crashing it seems inevitable. DVD-A disc prices however may be the deciding factor.

For the DIY'ers , is there any chip that decodes 24 /96 as well as our old TDA1541A for 16/44.1 ? Basically that means is there any 24/96 chip equivalent to the TDA1541A in performance.

There aren't too many manufacturers and so the list of chips must be limited. Can anyone comment on a 'known good chip'.
Thanks.
Cheers.

This is of interest to me too

I am also looking for a really musical, but realistically simple DAC to accept SPDIF and I2S inputs to fit into a CDP/DAC/Preamp project.

I have looked at the data sheets for the PCM1704 from TI, and I think that that could be manageable, providing someone with more talent with me can design and manufacture PCBs based on the data sheet.

This is the DAC used in the latest NAIM players and by all accounts is a great piece of kit.

Sound !

Hi Arniel,

I am sure they spec better than the old dac's. I want to know which one "sounds" best - subjective or not.
We will get many opinions . We can plonk for the one that most like ! It could be wrong but it's a good starting point.
Cheers.

Ashok,
I understand your question... as you can probably guess, I am in no position to give you an answer!!!
This exercise is so challenging, partly because swapping DACs in the same circuit may not give optimised results. I've been looking at replacing the DAC in my Marantz CD42 for years now, and am still no closer to coming up with a definitive answer e.g. does one go for transformer coupled outputs, tube buffers, 5th order bessel filters, GIC filters??? And that's just the output stage...

Sorry this has been such a useless answer, and good luck!

Arnie

ashok said:
Hi All,
In the near future DVD-A will probably be more popular than the 'older' audio CD. With DVD machine prices crashing it seems inevitable. DVD-A disc prices however may be the deciding factor.

For the DIY'ers , is there any chip that decodes 24 /96 as well as our old TDA1541A for 16/44.1 ? Basically that means is there any 24/96 chip equivalent to the TDA1541A in performance.

There aren't too many manufacturers and so the list of chips must be limited. Can anyone comment on a 'known good chip'.
Thanks.
Cheers.
Hi ashok, Most modern DACs are backwards compatible meaning they can work on redbook CD's.
But to me it seems most manufacturers have taken the Delta-Sigma route. If that is sounding like TDA1541AS1?

:confused:

By the way, I'de be interested in that thread too. I have built a DAV with TDA1545 which sounds fantastic, and a friend has very good results with AD1875 (which shows even more potential, maybe...)

So is there a chip that sounds as good as the good old Multibits, while taking 24-96 ?

There is PCM1704, never heard it though...

Re: Whaddya mean......

Jocko Homo said:
"As good as the (good) old multibit"?

Who ever said that they sound good?????? Not me.

Go buy the '1704. If you think that it costs too much, buy a AD1862.

Jocko......(who has both.....and the $$$$ tied up in surplus inventory to prove it.)

Jocko,

Many people feel the PCM63 was the best of all those BB
DAC's. We used the '63 and disabled bipolar offset internal
compenasation current (2mA) and found significant improvement.
This is a worry WRT the 1704 as you can't disable it. However
the 1704 does measure slightly better. Have you done direct
comparison with 63 and 1704???

What DF did you use, we used PMD100 (HDCD) and now are
looking at running 63 in 0 x OS :)
The PMD100 has great detail and resolution but I think it
may be a bit unmusical. I remember trying DF1704 and there
was mixed opinion compared to PMD100..... it's a can of worms!

Terry

Re: Re: Whaddya mean......

Terry Demol said:

Many people feel the PCM63 was the best of all those BB
DAC's. We used the '63 and disabled bipolar offset internal
compenasation current (2mA) and found significant improvement.

What did you use for IV conversion ? A simple resistor ?

Maybe the internal current source did not like the variations in output voltage caused by the resistor ?

I think the Folded Cascode circuit is much superior to a simpel resistor...

Folded cascode

Thanks to all for your replies.

Hi Peufeu,
Can you post your folded cascode design ? I can build it and compare it with my resistor loaded TDA1541 output. I have been looking for alternative solutions but never could decide on one. I also agree that the ideal situation would be to have a virtual zero ohm load at the current output .My load is 50 ohms but might make an audible difference if that was a virtual zero. Reducing the load to 10 ohms would be throwing away precious signal.
Will be waiting to see your folded cascode solution.
Cheers.

Re: Re: Re: Whaddya mean......

peufeu said:

What did you use for IV conversion ? A simple resistor ?

Maybe the internal current source did not like the variations in output voltage caused by the resistor ?

I think the Folded Cascode circuit is much superior to a simpel resistor...

Jocko,

We went away from R I-V years ago because the '63 has more
distortion with increased OP compliance. You can directly
compare this by using a good OPA I-V with something like a
627 and add varying resistance in front of it to simulate an R
I-V. The '63 starts to change it's sound with as little as 15R.

WRT Folded Cascode topology, I agree. We have built many of
those cascode I-V's in various topologies with Jfets, BJT's MOS,
complementary, SE, folded, CFP, non CFP, etc etc.

However to answer your question, when we first checked the BPO
phenomenom it was with discrete CFB opamp I-V (closed loop).
There was no voltage swing at dac OP, and it still degraded the
sound, quite strange.

Terry

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.