Are Esstech components ROHS compliant? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2013, 08:50 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

@marce:

Quote:
it will be interesting trying to pass on the design techniques to some as it used ferrite beads, and some audiophiles think these destroy the sound, yet also moan about RF spoiling the sound!
... Hi marce - any chance you have a link to something sort of explaining what you have been doing - curious I am ;-)

Jesper
Old 17th September 2013, 12:03 PM   #12
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I will dig some stuff out, but mainly isolation and avoiding capacitive coupling.
I was working on site with an RF engineer brought in to advise on high frequency EMC, the 18GHz requirements is for military stuff, so I cant be to specific. it one of those strange areas, the information is common knowledge and covered by people like Henry Ott and others, but because you work on certain projects you have to be very non specific in what information you give out.

Basically all lines have a Pi filter with cap-ferrite-cap, the dirty side (the side the cable plugs in) is isolated from the clean side by a clear moat of no copper, also avoiding any overlapping planes etc. it is basically standard EMC engineering taken to the next level, where every detail is important. Another method I have seen is the use of common mode SMD ferrites instead of single ones per line, still with caps either side to form a pi on each line. The devil is in the detail, you also have to avoid any dirty side cables traveling over any clean areas of PCB etc. Think isolation and filtering and you cant go wrong...
Old 18th September 2013, 06:23 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

@marce:

Quote:
also avoiding any overlapping planes etc.
Thanks again for replying marce ...

... These things are boggling in my mind these days - somehow fascinating, maybe like a game of chess (which I otherwise don't play) where thinking as many steps ahead -i.e. including as much knowledge on this in a sensibly balanced way - is a challenge.

I currently study parts of the Henry Ott book ... very informative and accessible I find.

Greetings,

Jesper
Old 10th December 2013, 12:04 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hi ... for those interested Esstech has now confirmed that their ES9102, ES9112, ES9018, ES9012 & K2M components are ROHS compliant.

Best regards,

Jesper
Old 10th December 2013, 12:31 PM   #15
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlevoice View Post
BTW: One of you know of a relatively low diameter solder that doesn't cause/"help" my solder iron tips scale/oxidize? With the current solder I use ("no clean" Sn, Ag, Cu) the tips only last a few days (assuming this is the culprit)
Silver bearing solder is the worst for that. I found SN100C (made under licence from Nihon Superior of Japan) to be the best lead free solder. Keep your tip well tinned - all over - at all times and it will help reduce the problem. Make sure you do your wiping only prior to starting the joint, then a quick re-retin and do the joint.
Old 10th December 2013, 12:41 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hi richie00boy,

Thanks for the tip. I'm currently looking into this as my tips using the non-leaded solder simply didn't last for more than ~ one hour before oxidizing to the extent that they were no longer easy to use. Never had this issue before ...

I've sent you a PM about this.

Best regards,

Jesper

Hide this!Advertise here!