DacKit Sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I have been burning in my newly constructed DAC for a few days now and decided to have a bit of a comparision to my Arcam Alpha 6 CDP.

I said in the other thread that the DacKit sounded fast, with good bass weight, and detail, but that the top end was mellowed. Sat with the Missus, I plugged each unit in, in turn. We noted that the DacKit sounded a little "closed in" compared to the Arcam.

Later this afternoon, I stumbled upon my old HiFi News and Record Review Test CD. The first track is a stereo and ambisonic walkthrough. Listening to this test was a bit of a revelation!! Believe it or not, the DacKit was putting out MONO! :eek:

After a nanosecond, it dawned on me:cannotbe: ...........

I had decided, when I was soldering the RCAs to invert the wires to save me changing the phase on the speakers when doing comparisons. :angel: See where this is going? :rolleyes: Yup, the common ground! Doh!! :clown:

The soldering iron will come out again this evening for the 5 minute lead-swap and then we'll see what is what!!! :D

Well, you live and learn...... ;)

More later - with some actual reports on what the DacKit really sounds like.

Jon

This is why I do not feel ready to do any projects that involve the mains!!! :hot:

As it should be.......

I am absolutely delighted! :D

I have wired the RCAs correctly, reversed the speaker phase and disconnected the battery charger.

The detail is immense!!:eek: The Arcam, by comparison, has a velvet delivery - but many of the peripheral sounds / effects / instruments etc are merged together. I have listened to Eric Clapton Unplugged, Joni Mitchell, Simply Red (Life), George Michael (Older), Eva Cassidy and a whole lot more.

There is bass, but not overkill. The cymbals has attack. Daniel Bedingfield (acoustic) was incredible - you could hear every rasp in his voice, and all the tiny imperfections that make us human.

Synth and overproduced stuff was laid bare, but well-mixed productions stood out with all that extra detail. I could amost follow the background cafe conversations in the George Micheal track.

This DacKit has had about 90 hours of running-in at this stage. If there is more improvement to come, then I will be very happy. I mean, it is much, much more detailed than my 600 GBP CD player.

Go to Scott Nixon's site and get yourself a PCB!!!

Jon
:cool:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.