Moding CD player power supplies

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone considered using an outboard medical linear regulated power supply for their CD players? The medical supplies are designed to be low noise and can be obtained for approximately $50 for an 18V / 1.5A supply. One can then feed this to individual regulators for the various components Ii.e. transport motor, clock, analogue stage, etc...........).
A second question: does anyone have a mod for the output stage of a DAC using class A Fets? I think that with a few mods like these and a better clock one can get some pretty good sound out of an economical CD player.
I look forward to your comments.

I'm also interested in using external power for my CD player. IS there any reason why batteries should be avoided? Does the transport suck up too much juice to make it a reasonable solution for all the voltages? If yes, what part of the PS should be kept wired to the wall outlet?

In terms of Power supplies - I have this nice Hewlett Packard 1-20V DC 10 amp lab bench power supply I currently use for my slot car tack :)D) which I could easily set to any voltage needed in the CDP to do some testing regarding the impact of outboard power.

As long as the original PS is in the player, though - would I hear the full difference by substituting the external DC source for some of the leads in the player? I suppose the ultimate mod is to completely remove teh original PS form the transport.

Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.