What does anyone think of the pioneer 47ai?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need to replace both my cd player and dvd; I had kindof given up on finding a universal player since performance on redbook cd's is paramount to me. SOOO, was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the performance of this player as a cd/universal player, and are there any potential DIY tweaks using the output link?

My understanding is that the audio section of the 47ai is the same as in the 45a, minus the firewire link of course. If the analog outs are your primary focus, you might be able to save some bucks and go with the 45a instead. The video performance of the 47ai is apparently better than in the 45a, but I don't recall the specifics.

I have the 45a, but have yet to subject it to a rigorous eval - I've just been using it as a dvd player and redbook transport. The Denon 2900 seems to have grabbed the attention of modders more than the 45a, but I think that ModWright mods them - you might look there for a basic overview of what's possible.

One curse/benefit is that I think the pioneers use a dsd->pcm converter chip. This is bad because supposedly these chips aren't great and you lose some of the sacd magic, but it's good because you only have one set of DAC's and output stages to mod.

Modding

Hi,

I have a pioneer dv-747a.
Video is superb, no disadvantage or wat so-ever.
It has a cs4392 dac with DSD support.. wich I think you will find also in the 47ai.
The only thing I'm dissappionted that the analog power supply is fed with the same transformer. Wich will decrease the sound with servo interference.
I'm gonna change that with external trafo.
like this

Regards,
Remco Blankesteijn

I read in a review somewhere on the 'net that the 47ai uses TI PCM1738 dacs. That is quite rare on a player that is now selling for <$600.

I've been quietly ogling this player myself but if it is true that it uses dsd-pcm conversion then that is a major bummer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.