marantz cd65 mkii random stopping - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th August 2013, 05:22 PM   #1
tomst is offline tomst  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default marantz cd65 mkii random stopping

Hi
I have a strange problem with a marantz cd65 MK2 SE. It has the TDA1541A chip set and a cdm4/19 it randomly stops playing. Anywhere on the disc could be a few second in to near the end. when it stops it runns through all the track numbers on the display then stops. on some occasions it has twitched the cd drawer. Since this i have taken out the mechanism cleaned and greased all little ball bearings bearings. previous to this i have also resurface the spindle plate that wears out. any idea and help would be great.
thanks
Tom
Old 13th August 2013, 05:33 PM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Ideas... and they are only ideas... would be to check for dries, particularly in the PSU and on any components that run hot such as onboard regs, motor drive amps etc. The twitchy drawer might be a symptom of a twitchy rail and random uP resets. You have to start with the basics before jumping to conclusions.
Old 13th August 2013, 05:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply.
Sorry I forgot to mention I have just replaced the PSU capacitors as one had died.
I shall have the PCB out and check for any lifted tracks and dry joints.
should I have reset the trim pots after doing this.
Old 13th August 2013, 06:19 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

Replacing PSU electroylitics shouldn't cause need to readjust anything. Does this player have the notorious 33uf cap under the RAFOC that causes intermittent problems ?
Old 13th August 2013, 09:02 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The actual laser head has a very small PCB with a few Surface mount components. everything else is on the main PCB I don't think there are any 33f capacitors on the PCB lots of 47f 25v and some of those blue axial philips. If its any help the Circuit diagram is attached
Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CD65II_doc-3.jpg (870.0 KB, 48 views)
Old 13th August 2013, 09:41 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Twitching drawer is an odd symptom. Perhaps the tray detect microswitch has an unreliable contact? Just a thought.

Note the MAB8441 also controls the drawer, and accepts the signal from the tray detect switch.

Last edited by PlasticIsGood; 13th August 2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 13th August 2013, 10:04 PM   #7
AMV8 is offline AMV8  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I had exactly the same symptom in a Marantz DR6000. ( very similar internally to your machine I think) After searching for a cause I found that it was due to overheating - but I did not isolate the guilty part as there are a number of hot parts. However I cured the problem by inserting a small computor fan in one end of the case.

You could maybe check if this is your problem by running the cd player in a cool place to see if that helps.

Don
Old 13th August 2013, 11:29 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I did notice it gets hot around the power supply and transformer around 50 Deg C particularly the voltage regulator attached to the heat sink/shield but I thought this was acceptable temp. tomorrow Ill check the switch out (close to the PSU but not that close) and check the traces and see if i can check capacitors.
Old 14th August 2013, 06:46 AM   #9
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomst View Post
The actual laser head has a very small PCB with a few Surface mount components. everything else is on the main PCB I don't think there are any 33f capacitors on the PCB lots of 47f 25v and some of those blue axial philips. If its any help the Circuit diagram is attached
Tom
C2546 bottom left which is a 47uf here. The original Philips versions used 33uf.

Its the drawer thing that is odd though, and that points to maybe a rail dropping out momentarily and causing the uP or SYCON to reset. Its far from unheard of for 78/79 etc regs to be troublesome. Might be worth carefully monitoring the rails with a scope and DVM to see if they are really steady.
Old 14th August 2013, 08:33 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Ok i've got to get to the rails I'll check that capacitor what is SYCON I'm guessing at SYstem CONtroller; the MC8805LB marked control-P doc-5. The try detection switch is shown on doc-4 it's the same micro controller shown in the servo circuit/focus/radial drive diagram doc-3.
I've uploaded the rest of the circuit diagrams.
Unfortunately I don't have a scope it's one of those things I can't yet afford.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CD65II_doc-1.jpg (735.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg CD65II_doc-3.jpg (870.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg CD65II_doc-4.jpg (653.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg CD65II_doc-5.jpg (687.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg CD65II_doc-6.jpg (296.5 KB, 12 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!