marantz cd65 mkii random stopping - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th August 2013, 10:21 AM   #11
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Yep, SYSCON is system control

It does sounds an uncommon or "one off" type of fault with the drawer doing what it does but as with most faults, dries and PSU issues are favourite. Obviously make sure any mechanical issues are attended to first such as checking and cleaning leaf/micro switches. Any large IC's are the very last things to even point a finger at, it will be something else.
Old 14th August 2013, 01:02 PM   #12
tomst is offline tomst  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

well I't seams it's a problem bought on by heat. yesterday it was in a cabinet with closed in back though there was a fair amount of space round it. It's now been plying faultless for hours out in the open. looking at the psu how tight it is and the temperature in there and from what has been said i would hazard a guess at a voltage regulator or capacitor. when i had the PCB out I visually checked for any obvious problems like lifted tracks and dry joints. I'll probably replace some of the 47F caps anyway esp the one mentioned.
Old 14th August 2013, 03:33 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomst View Post
I'll probably replace some of the 47F caps anyway esp the one mentioned.
I might be wrong but, from memory, the original cap doesn't cause problems, but an inappropriate replacement can. A cap with very low ESR shouldn't be used there. Nor should one be used immediately following a voltage regulator, by the way.

These machines sound good but they're flimsy and awkward to work on. Because of the weight of the transformer fixed to the circuit board, it tends to flex a lot during handling. If you need to take it apart again, check the traces and soldering around the transformer for cracks.

They aren't safe in the post for that reason. If the machine flops onto its back, the transformer screws rip out and total carnage ensues

Philips plastic declined sharply in quality IMO. Good heavy transformer though.
Old 14th August 2013, 03:56 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

when i did the psu I replaced the main caps with panasonic FC capacitors after the regulators with panasonic FR so they have quite low ESR would a the FC or something with even less better after the reg?
Old 14th August 2013, 05:16 PM   #15
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Its still all guesswork but from what you say replacing the 78/79 regs might be worthwhile. Unless you can observe a problem (scope which you haven't access too) then its a case of second guessing the issue.
Old 14th August 2013, 07:06 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Ok I'll go for the regulators. do they have to be the 78/79MXX type or can they be standard type eg7905. After a quick look it seams the M stands for medium current.

Hide this!Advertise here!