Yamaha CD-S700 Opamp upgrade (OP275) : hints ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th August 2013, 02:01 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Yamaha CD-S700 Opamp upgrade (OP275) : hints ?

Hi everyone,
I recently purchased a Yamaha CD-1330 CD player which is very similar to CD-S700 (same Analog PCB, only two capacitors difference).
I have service manual of both players so I can compare.... I want to upgrade stock OpAmp... say a single OP275 just after DSD1791 DAC.
There is no other opamp till output. So OP275 does differential amp and lpf.

I tend to think about AD826 and AD823 ?
I would like a no-brainer solution as the stock OP275 is already a fine opamp and I already plan some capacitor replacement around it.
Has anyone any advice regarding this matter ? Thank you.

Last edited by marble88; 12th August 2013 at 02:17 PM. Reason: technical complements regarding my question
Old 12th August 2013, 02:29 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
I'd give LT1355 a whirl.
Old 12th August 2013, 02:45 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
I'd give LT1355 a whirl.
Nice on paper ... I didn't thought of that one... how is it (sound-like) compared to AD826 or AD8066 ?
Old 12th August 2013, 02:58 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Oh i have an CD-S700 thats very interesting...
Old 12th August 2013, 03:06 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris86 View Post
Oh i have an CD-S700 thats very interesting...
Mine is a CD-1330... everything is same as CD-S700 except one or two things, including Transport . Tricky Yamaha guys !! Mine had got low quality caps instead of nice FW and Fine Gold. Started changing them so I wonder if I can also swap op275 for a better opamp...
Old 12th August 2013, 04:26 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I've read part of the "Opamp thread" on other forum and about LT1355 little is mentioned.
Slew Rate is very impressive but regarding sound-quality ? Will it really be better than stock OP275 ?
And circuit-wise ? I have much respect for abraxalito regarding some SD-player information but could anyone help me further or confirm ?

Here's a quick pic regarding implementation.
Click the image to open in full size.

I was thinking like staying with some AD chip in it... well, starting going "out" can I ask if opa1642 would do any good ? (I know curiosity killed the cat but...)
Anyway, thank you very much for your input !
Attached Images
File Type: gif OPAMP.GIF (31.1 KB, 140 views)
Old 12th August 2013, 04:44 PM   #7
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

I think your just going to have to shortlist a few and try them. An outsider for you would be the OPA2604, probably the most "coloured" sounding of any. Those muting transistors look as though they could usefully be swapped out for small FET's.

Enjoy
Old 12th August 2013, 04:48 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
I think your just going to have to shortlist a few and try them. An outsider for you would be the OPA2604, probably the most "coloured" sounding of any. Those muting transistors look as though they could usefully be swapped out for small FET's.

Enjoy
Indeed.
Thanks Mooly, I was thinking adding this one too .
Old 12th August 2013, 06:06 PM   #9
sidiy is offline sidiy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hello,
It looks like the 3rd order filter in this CDP is inverting absolute phase (if that matters for you). It has the cut-off at 103kHz and puts out 2.2Vrms@0dB (which may give it some advantage in non-level matched comparisons with other players). I have not figured yet what type it is (Butterworth, Bessel etc) and IMHO this may play a bigger role in sound than rolling the op-amps.

If I may suggest the OPA1662 (higher GBW, lower noise and more linear in presence of leaky clocks from the DAC).
Old 12th August 2013, 06:51 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidiy View Post
Hello,
It looks like the 3rd order filter in this CDP is inverting absolute phase (if that matters for you). It has the cut-off at 103kHz and puts out 2.2Vrms@0dB (which may give it some advantage in non-level matched comparisons with other players). I have not figured yet what type it is (Butterworth, Bessel etc) and IMHO this may play a bigger role in sound than rolling the op-amps.

If I may suggest the OPA1662 (higher GBW, lower noise and more linear in presence of leaky clocks from the DAC).
Hi sidiy,
if you check the DSD1791 datasheet ? they suggest something interesting regarding this. Only values may differ with those of this CDP.

I am going investigate further upon similar DSD chips in the TI database.

Hide this!Advertise here!