Playstation 1 as CD transport (SPDIF output)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
yes, the idea was 100//300 =>~ 75 ohms

The spdif outputs game audio as well, you will hear the "power up scheme music" when powering up the station.

One thing I found that out much later: about 30 minutes after the CD ended, the silence will turn into kind of a white noise, probably part of the station's circuit goes into standby. To me it is kind of like a reminder "hey, don't just sit there, come on play more music".....

audiocats - I've just done this mod; first crudely with some +-20% metal film resistors, I didn't get startup sound or game sound but playing CDs worked - presumed it was just noise from crappy wiring so proceeded to install a proper socket and neat wiring now I've got nothing... Reading 0.4V from pin 60 and got about 3.4V into pin 59 - does this sound normal? I've got no audio at the moment and a I don't have a scope to look at what's coming out to debug further, I'm relying on the multimeter at the moment.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

audiocats - I've just done this mod; first crudely with some +-20% metal film resistors, I didn't get startup sound or game sound but playing CDs worked - presumed it was just noise from crappy wiring so proceeded to install a proper socket and neat wiring now I've got nothing... Reading 0.4V from pin 60 and got about 3.4V into pin 59 - does this sound normal? I've got no audio at the moment and a I don't have a scope to look at what's coming out to debug further, I'm relying on the multimeter at the moment.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

hmm, not sure what happened there. Maybe check the wiring connection to the SPDIF enable pin? I have done the SPDIF tap to a few of my 1001's and all worked ok. The resistors are 1% though.

Did anyone just use the DAC and use a different transport. I love my units. I used separate power supply and bypassed the output. I also built a 2a3 tube transformer output buffer. It sounds really good!!!

The transport sections seem to be touchy. So if anyone knows how to use another transport I will play with that also.

Thanks Tom

I was having trouble with this Mod, got no digital output what so ever. So when I started probing I noticed the digital-enable pin 59 was still low because it was grounded under the chip on my SCPH-1002. I lifted the it and now it works perfectly well.

So to everyone getting no output: check if pin 59 is grounded. If so, you need to lift it.

Cheers!

SCPH-1002 board a little bit different. Where should i connect ground?:)

Attachments

• 83863FDB-CE8D-434A-804D-7A63767085DE.jpg
    83863FDB-CE8D-434A-804D-7A63767085DE.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 144
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.