Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th August 2013, 09:43 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

looks like them went the long route to get the digital out of PS1....by tapping the Eiaj signal at the DAC then convert it to SPDIF?
Old 14th August 2013, 11:24 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

I think the DIT4096 solution offers more scope for interfacing non-100x PSX's (and other consoles it seems)? Your solution is tailored for the 100x Playstation, so the alternative seems like overkill. (I didn't build a PSX transport, opting for Mick Feuerbacher's audio section mods instead). Are you considering installing a low jitter clock in your PSX? I'm not sure if it's practical but the DIT4096 datasheet indicates it needs MCLK (from the AKM DAC?) to work, so maybe there a improvements to be made here.
Old 15th August 2013, 03:56 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

No plan on installing clock and such. My original intent was to find the I2S, and since I found the SPDIF instead I might add a CS8414 right next to the CXD2510Q and turn spdif into I2S and use the three RCA jacks in the back to send I2S signal out.

The reason of wanting to use I2S is that the signal frequency there is lower therefore has lower requirement on signal cabling. Also I don't think I2S has a minimum cable length requirement.

I think I have done everything I can, in modding the internal DAC section and the result is still not quite that great. The sound is smooth but not detailed enough for critical listening (smoother than my x555ES but not as detailed), I think the problem is with the AKM chip, there is not much to be done there.
Old 16th August 2013, 01:16 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Great work!
I was wondering if it is possible to add a digital input to the playstation. I say input as I think it would be great to be able to use an external transport (shigaclone) but still use the amazing dac in the playstation.
Thank you in advance
Old 16th August 2013, 05:29 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Not sure if it is worth the trouble using the PS1 board as a DAC. The chip itself has limited resolution, it seems. I would guess people like its sound because of the smoothness (the top end rolls off a bit so there is more or less no bit in the sound)

I think the bottle neck in the PS1 is the DAC chip, the transport section might have some potential.
Old 23rd October 2013, 11:14 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

ah interesting ps1 mod .. i do some mick mods and happy , here is another mods .. i want to try it ... but looking ps1 spch 1001 is hard right now....

might the diy force be with you

Hide this!Advertise here!