Studer A730 track skipping

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have a studer A730. After playing about 1.5 hrs, it start to skip. Also, at the initial power on, I could hear over my speakers that wheel spinning. Not sure what are the cause..... any recommendation or know of any tech that the look at the cd player. thanks

Thomas

Manual available here. Click on "Get Manual" underneath the preview box. If you don't have a djvu-compatible reader, install djvu as linked "needed progs", a bit further down.

It's a historic machine, ultra-rare CDM3 and S1 DAC, so you have to fix it!

What do you mean by "I could hear over my speakers that wheel spinning"? I can't imagine the sound. Usually the output of a CDP is muted until playing.

If you power off and on again when the player starts skipping, does it play OK?

Does it still make the mystery sound if powered on when it's warmed up?

1.5hrs is a long time for something to get hot. I would suspect the SAA7210 decoder chip but it's a wild guess...

We need more clues!

Thank you for the manual. I will need to download from home since it's blocked at my work computer.
The cd wheel spinning sound is resonate on at all the time and is audible thru the speakers only(maybe some sorted of feedback playing from tube amp). You still could hear the track spinning while the cd is playing. The noise is muzzled by the music so is not that audible. But its definitely there....... I was wondering could it be some sort of misalignment on the cd wheel just like a washing machine tumbler??
I did not power off and on after the cd skip. I simple turned it off. I think I will test it out later on.

Most skipping issues I have ever had from a CD player was caused either by dragging of the slide mechanism or the positioning belt slipping if it has one.
Sometimes a dirty lens can cause this as well.

I have one that is doing this now (not a Studer though), But I haven't taken the time to pull it apart to fix it yet.

FWIW

jer :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.