What difference does the quality of a digital interconnect make? - Page 30 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd August 2013, 11:52 AM   #291
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
In the modern world, ignorance is deemed by some to be wiser than knowledge. Strangely, they still prefer properly trained doctors/accountants/lawyers/civil engineers rather than the postmodern equivalent. Would you drive across a bridge designed by a postmodernist - who believes that stress calculations are so last century?
devices governed by and designed with the aid of the ignorant objective methods, form the very heart of every build they make, yet apparently the designers of said devices are only fooled into thinking they know how they actually work. it takes a true visionary to disregard these foolish notions of function and form, to leverage their use for real non-delusional ends.
Old 23rd August 2013, 02:16 PM   #292
sonidos is offline sonidos  United States
Libertador de la Música
diyAudio Member

Hey qusp,

Watch it! I resembled that comment. Ouch!

DF96 - I had the same thoughts. It hit me one day that I all that I ever did was just swapping and creating all my cables. All this energy poured into cable swapping. Why? It was just about the only thing I knew how to do besides squeeze big filter caps into my equipment.
Old 23rd August 2013, 04:51 PM   #293
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irribeo View Post
But you keep looking in wrong direction I believe, almost religously believing spdiff cables never should make a difference, whatever form they take. Both transmitter and receiver are 100% closer to spec than this unshielded twisted pair ever can be.
The music signal on the S/PDIF is coded in the stream of 1's and 0's, NOT in the level.
The level can vary all over the place, and it is the receiver that gets all those 1's and 0's and send them on to the DAC or whatever.

So the level of the signal on the S/PDIF has zilch to do with the music signal level. Therefor, a different music level due to different S/PDIF cables is a physical impossibility (though not a perception impossibility).

jan
Old 24th August 2013, 02:58 AM   #294
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marce View Post

I am not a computer weenie (16+ stone and 6 foot, you would need a big hot dog bun, more a PCB Bratwurst), I work in the real world of electronics, doing PCB design for a lot of cutting edge projects, so face every day the problems of digital signal transmission, and also analogue layout. I use signal integrity verification software to help make sure the layouts are going to work as expected. The real world of design, including audio does not encompass such voodoo as you seem to subscribe to.
How else but using known electrical practices and digital engineering are you going to design a digital interface.
And how would silver cable improve the transmission of a digital signal, this is one question that remains unanswered.
Silver improves the transmission of a digital signal carrying the data of credit card payment from the sucker's card to the barker's bank account.
Old 24th August 2013, 07:16 AM   #295
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Oshman View Post
Silver improves the transmission of a digital signal carrying the data of credit card payment from the sucker's card to the barker's bank account.
Yeah, that's Hi-End banking for you

jan
Old 24th August 2013, 12:54 PM   #296
ColdFlo is offline ColdFlo  United States
diyAudio Member

Really everything comes down to opportunity, COST, everyone knows this. And you can transmit a digital signal on any conductor if you lower the frequency and use more conductors, but for me this seems like its the lazy way out. I tend to like things that have quality to their design. We have the knowledge so why not just do quality work?This should be the goal to improve the quality forever.... I believe that wires and cables are made as cheap as they possibly can be just because all anyone cares about is does it work and lowering production time to make more money, instead of taking the time to do things right and figure out the proper process to make something the right way(if I can google it then how come few are doing it...........). Now am I talking about 40,000 dollar interconnects or something equally ridiculous? No, I would never buy that and to be honest I probably wouldn't be willing to pay much more than 100(for a long run which would be considered very cheap in the interconnect world). I would rather make it myself or source a high quality version closer to production cost(asian market?). Still I find it hard to subscribe to the cheap as dirt monoprice/newegg religion either. Of course, I would use this cabling and wiring on analog transmission first before I ever spent it on a digital connection unless I was getting to around 600mhz which many cables inside the PC case are now at or above that frequency. Yes reflections are important to cable design but I am taking that for granted that the cable is constructed correctly and looking at a level of perfection deeper than just the tailoring of the cable which at this point is old technology(as is everything that has been discussed in this thread.... including my new fangled whacky doo ideas about crystal geometry(almost 30 years now)). Why do pots and pans made in china get loose within the first year of use? Why have cheese copper wire drawn at an extremely high rate in an oxygen atmosphere cracking the outside causing scattering in the skin effect and grain transitions? The technology wasn't even developed for audio it was developed for electronic component miniaturization. So if you only had the money to buy one cable maybe the digital one would take a backseat to another, but us techs we can't stop tinkering and tweaking and eventually we will work out a way to get to them all..........

Brian you know there are many links how you can make a fortune selling the gold plated foils from off your graphics card pci fingers. Just rip out your gpu cut off the bottom and soak it for a few days and you can be rich. The reason why they put those on your gpu is to make it cost 400 dollars so you would feel important when you bought it like you were a big tough guy slapping everyone in the face with your big bourgeois power. Silver wire is the same scam don't be fooled its not about the functional properties of silver that's just marketing hype...... It's all about the historical pricing of silver and how its shiny to monkey eyes causing monoprice weenies to start crying then you win like King Kong.
Old 24th August 2013, 04:36 PM   #297
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
And you can transmit a digital signal on any conductor if you lower the frequency and use more conductors
??
Quote:
Brian you know there are many links how you can make a fortune selling the gold plated foils from off your graphics card pci fingers. Just rip out your gpu cut off the bottom and soak it for a few days and you can be rich. The reason why they put those on your gpu is to make it cost 400 dollars so you would feel important when you bought it like you were a big tough guy slapping everyone in the face with your big bourgeois power
Are you talking about Hard Gold plating on the connector fingers?
If so.....
Old 25th August 2013, 09:05 AM   #298
diyAudio Member

Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but a couple of years ago a Greek audio e-mag lab-tested 30 commercial SPDIF cables:
http://www.avmentor.gr - Group_test_spdif_coaxial_cables_2011

The procedure they followed is detailed in page 2.

[The link above is Google translated so cannot guarantee it'll be readable, but you can always check the images (eye patterns etc.) which are kinda self-explanatory]

Last edited by TheShaman; 25th August 2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old 25th August 2013, 09:31 AM   #299
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Could someone explain how to read the diagrams?
Old 25th August 2013, 09:39 AM   #300
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Interesting data, had a quick look, will look in more detail later. But from first impressions pretty much what I would expect from digital cables for a low bit rate Manchester encoded interface...
Cheers for the link.

Hide this!Advertise here!